Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathgrace_gw

Grumbling about grubs, have ants in the pants...

kathgrace
15 years ago

I am so frustrated by slugs, grubs, and just discovered today by my pine and lantana - big black ants - the size of red ants, but black. Lastly, I am seeing a good deal of multi-legged critters. Likely something from a 'pede family.

I have 2 dogs and am trying to make the area wildlife-friendly so for 2 years I have tried to stay away from any chemicals. Is there a way to rid the grubs/ants/pedes organically? I've been using the beer traps for slugs.

If organic isn't possible, please recommend proper brands for care?

Much appreciated.

Comments (3)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Grubs, ants and 'pedes ARE organic! They've got important jobs to do (breaking down leaves and other organic materials) and when they are not doing them, they are food for someone else. Did you know that adult birds feed bugs to their chicks? They are an excellent source of protein.

Grubs are the infant stage (larval is the correct term, I think) of beetles. If they are in your lawn, they are likely japanese beetle grubs (grass roots are their favorite food). If you need control of lawn grubs, look into milky spore. Elsewhere, they are likely native beetles.

Now slugs, I would agree with you on ....

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Boiling or nearly so, water poured into an ant hill will take care of that one. But you wouldn't want to use that treatment if the anthill is among your favourite plants!
    Next best is grits, spread out on a tray and misted with room temperature sugar water, about the same proportion you would mix for the Hummers. Allow the grits to dry and then sprinkle them around the anthill. The ants eat the sugarcoated grits, it swells in their innards and they explode!
    Cruel, to be sure, but all of the fire ant treatments use grits as a basic ingredient, to do exactly the same thing.

I have never had enough grubs and millipedes to consider them a nuisance, so haven't ever treated for them.
    Slugs and snails only feast on my Toad lilies (Tricyrtis), so I invest in a small bag of Sluggo every few years. I think it is probably one of the best Eco-friendly formulas on the market.
    One treatment per year is usually sufficient.

I have a bird friendly, woodland habitat, so I don't use chemicals, if they can be avoided. The toxins could very well wind up as a portion of our feathered friend's meal!
    Rb

• kathgrace
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both!

The grubs seem so abundant (everywhere I dig, there they are again) I was basically freaked out and certain that was why some of my shrub leaves were yellowing and drying out and was afraid they'd ruin the new plantings if I didn't act.

The ants - they worried me being so large, almost like carpenter ants.

I will take your advice and see how I do. Thank you again!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!