Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of tree should I buy

Posted by gatransplant23 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 21:20

I want to plant two medium sized trees to help shade the back of my house....it is in full sun....I was thinking of a dogwood or redbud. Does anyone has any other ideas?

I live in zone 7 in Cobb County GA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of tree should I buy

Do you need the shade year around? If you do, I would suggest a southern or sweetbay magnolia tree. Dogwoods like sun but might struggle in our southern climate in full sun. My dogwood tree gets afternoon full sun only. The redbuds are pretty, and like the dogwoods, would only provide the shade during the late spring and summer months.

o

If it's full sun, dogwoods may struggle. They like at least partial shade, I've found.

What about a chestnut? They used to be very prevalent, but were eradicated by a blight. Now they've been hybridized with a resistant Chinese chestnut, and are being reintroduced. When I have a chance to plant a full sun tree, that is what I'm planning. Shade AND snacks!

I'm also considering the American Philburt (hazelnut).

o

I hate Magnolias, They drop leaves year round....just something to keep in mind. Why not plant a couple fruit trees, get the shade and some fruit to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here