Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter kill

Posted by kattamos z7b ATL GA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 21:44

We all know it was an exceptionally cold winter. My bananas,brugmansias,gingers, and colocasias have not broken ground yet. How are the rest of you doing? Want to knowh how cold for how long?
An interesting link http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-bin/AEMN.pl?site=AAAA&report=CO

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter kill

My gingers and cannas have green shoots, but nothing yet from my colocasias. I lost several dahlias.

Interesting link, thanks

o

All of my dahlias are coming back, every ginger is showing signs of life, the elephant ears which are in constantly wet soil are popping up, and the cannas are up and attentive! Looking good here.
Even brugmansia, no loss!

o

I also lost a brug, a canna and an elephant ear. They were in a raised bed so I'm not overly surprised, but they had been there for a number of years.

The same plants in the ground, along with some ginger, all survived.

o

I don't think the lantana I've had for abou 4 years is coming back. One out of 8 shows signs of growth.

I also had 4 mini boxwood lose all their leaves. I thought they were dead, but two have come back and the other two, I was told by an arborist that I should cut way down and they will come back.

My roses and azaleas are about 3 weeks behind, also irises and pretty much everything else.

o

I thought this was a mild winter...maybe because we had no late freezes so everything actually bloomed.
When the reeves spireas bloom once every four years and are spectacular, I want more!
This has been one of my best springs in many years.

Still, I have some lantana that has not returned.

o

I'm pretty sure I lost a passion vine that I'd just put in last year. But I wasn't sure it would winter over in my zone or not anyway and with the extreme winter we had, I gave up trying to save it after the second or third hard freeze.

Now I'm at a loss as to what vine to replace it with. It needs to be a small vine to grow on the chain link fence next to the house in full sun. Thoughts?

o

Our ginger lilies have not come up yet- I'll be sorry to lose them because they were pass along plants from a friend who died early this year. If only one will show it's head I'll be happy.

o

I had written off my dahlias and elephant ears, but one of my dahlias finally sent up a little shoot today, and when I dug up the elephant ears they had green shoots coming up even though the main bulb was rotten.

o

I have yet to see new gold lantana, cannas, and elephant ears. Several plants, including one of my Miss Huffs, were very late, so I'm holding out a little hope.

o

still no lantana. Guess I'll be going to Home Depot or Lowes soon :)

o

I haven't seen any green on my New Gold or Dallas Red Lantanas, but my Miss Huffs finally put out a few leaves.

o

Just and FYI, if you, like I did, need to replace all your lantana, Lowes has the landscaper packs of 18 for $16. They also have the larger sizes, but I like the smaller ones, especially if I'm doing a mass planting. I put them in my front beds and my butterfly garden. Even if only half survive till next year, they will be bigger and fill the same size. Last time, they lasted 6 years until last winter. I also splurged on 2 of the larger size of pink lantana.

o

I find the location of lantana to be the biggest factor in winter kill.
I lost several mozelle in one area but not others. Same with new gold. My miss huff and dallas red came back fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here