Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kattamos

winter kill

kattamos
14 years ago

We all know it was an exceptionally cold winter. My bananas,brugmansias,gingers, and colocasias have not broken ground yet. How are the rest of you doing? Want to knowh how cold for how long?

An interesting link http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-bin/AEMN.pl?site=AAAA&report=CO

Comments (13)

• laurelwoodfarms
    14 years ago

My gingers and cannas have green shoots, but nothing yet from my colocasias. I lost several dahlias.

Interesting link, thanks

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

All of my dahlias are coming back, every ginger is showing signs of life, the elephant ears which are in constantly wet soil are popping up, and the cannas are up and attentive! Looking good here.
    Even brugmansia, no loss!

• lrvjim
    13 years ago

I also lost a brug, a canna and an elephant ear. They were in a raised bed so I'm not overly surprised, but they had been there for a number of years.

The same plants in the ground, along with some ginger, all survived.

• buford
    13 years ago

I don't think the lantana I've had for abou 4 years is coming back. One out of 8 shows signs of growth.

I also had 4 mini boxwood lose all their leaves. I thought they were dead, but two have come back and the other two, I was told by an arborist that I should cut way down and they will come back.

My roses and azaleas are about 3 weeks behind, also irises and pretty much everything else.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I thought this was a mild winter...maybe because we had no late freezes so everything actually bloomed.
    When the reeves spireas bloom once every four years and are spectacular, I want more!
    This has been one of my best springs in many years.

Still, I have some lantana that has not returned.

• fluffyflowers
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure I lost a passion vine that I'd just put in last year. But I wasn't sure it would winter over in my zone or not anyway and with the extreme winter we had, I gave up trying to save it after the second or third hard freeze.

Now I'm at a loss as to what vine to replace it with. It needs to be a small vine to grow on the chain link fence next to the house in full sun. Thoughts?

• gmom74
    13 years ago

Our ginger lilies have not come up yet- I'll be sorry to lose them because they were pass along plants from a friend who died early this year. If only one will show it's head I'll be happy.

• laurelwoodfarms
    13 years ago

I had written off my dahlias and elephant ears, but one of my dahlias finally sent up a little shoot today, and when I dug up the elephant ears they had green shoots coming up even though the main bulb was rotten.

• woody_ga
    13 years ago

I have yet to see new gold lantana, cannas, and elephant ears. Several plants, including one of my Miss Huffs, were very late, so I'm holding out a little hope.

• buford
    13 years ago

still no lantana. Guess I'll be going to Home Depot or Lowes soon :)

• laurelwoodfarms
    13 years ago

I haven't seen any green on my New Gold or Dallas Red Lantanas, but my Miss Huffs finally put out a few leaves.

• buford
    13 years ago

Just and FYI, if you, like I did, need to replace all your lantana, Lowes has the landscaper packs of 18 for $16. They also have the larger sizes, but I like the smaller ones, especially if I'm doing a mass planting. I put them in my front beds and my butterfly garden. Even if only half survive till next year, they will be bigger and fill the same size. Last time, they lasted 6 years until last winter. I also splurged on 2 of the larger size of pink lantana.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I find the location of lantana to be the biggest factor in winter kill.
    I lost several mozelle in one area but not others. Same with new gold. My miss huff and dallas red came back fine.

Sponsored