Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why are my tomato leaves yellow?

Posted by esthermgr (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 21:47

I put out some tomato plants the week before Easter (I know- a bit early, but I got carried away...) and then we had that late freeze. I covered them and they lived fine but now one of them has yellowing leaves.

Here's my question- do ya'll think it's the cold or some nutrient deficiency in the soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why are my tomato leaves yellow?

i would think it's the cold, assuming it's uniform yellowing; temps have been below 50 degrees at night regularly, and we've have two freezes in the last month. have you ever grown in this spot before? did you have problems then?

if leaves are wilting on random branches (but staying green) it's probably a wilt, like verticillium wilt. not something you want.

o

I've never grown in this spot before- it's a new house. But the neighbors says he grows beautiful tomatoes right next to that spot. So I don't think there are any fungal diseases that overwintered.

The yellowing is pretty uniform- the veins don't seem to be greener or yellower than the rest of the leaf, and it's all over the plant. Let's hope it's the cold and that my plant will perk up when it gets warmer. If not, oh well- I'll just have to plant more seedlings to take its place!

o

We think of tomatoes as annuals, but really they are tropical plants that dislike temperatures below 50 degrees. I think your yellowing is cold nights.

o

The ones I put out early are a bit on the yellow side as well. They're perking up nicely these last few days. I'd give them some time, don't water them for a while (that can yellow leaves as well) since we've had so much rain and it's supposed to rain again soon and see how they do.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Corner Yard

o

Yes i think it is the temperatures as well. I have over a thousand planted and they all did that at two separate plots.since we have been in the 80s my plants are off like a rocket.

o

I have rather bright yellowing on new tomato plants, planted in earth box one week ago. It is in the approximate center of the plant. Being in an earth box with new soil and fertilizer I don't think the cause is water or nutrient. I have treated with fungicide. This is the first time I've encountered this problem. Any ideas?

o

I simply remove the yellow leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here