Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone succesfully grown Asparagus here?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 21:50

I've just ordered 20 crowns that should be arriving soon, and I know nothing about growing them (I have researched HOW to plant them) but I was curious if anyone has had luck with them in GA. I'm south of Macon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone succesfully grown Asparagus here?

I have not, but my neighbor has had a bed of asparagus for several years now, and she loves it. We are in Marietta. I know she said she spends the extra money for 5 year plants, so they will begin producing sooner. Also, her bed is part of a regular old backyard garden plot -- nothing huge or fancy. I am sure you will have lots of success!

o

Have had an asparagus bed here for 18+ years, started with small crowns so took a few years to get established. The hardest thing is to keep the centipede from getting in and during the season the spears pop up and grow so fast it needs to be checked everyday if not twice a day.

Good luck.

o
Growing asparagus in Macon

Forgot to say my asparagus bed is in Macon.

o

I'm farther south than any of you an have success growing gusses. This is my first (4th) year being able to actually freeze some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here