Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
satellitehead

Local source for chili seeds? (near Atlanta)

satellitehead
14 years ago

Specifically, looking for Piquillo pepper seeds.

Would also like ancho, pasilla, guajillo and serrano peppers.

Anyone know somewhere local that has a really, really good seed selection?

Comments (15)

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should suffix this: my biggest desire is to get piquillo peppers.

Second biggest is poblanos.

i have some dried ancho seeds that may work, but i am interested in pasilla, guajillo and serrano "just 'cause".

Looking in the Metro ATL area, but would drive up to 2 hours to get seeds if i can get multiple seeds in one place.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Go to farmers Market (in Gwinnett) or any Hispanic supermarket and buy the peppers. They are full of seeds.
    I have done it :
    "CHILEPEQUINE ENTERO"
    "Pequin chili pods"

cost : 1 buck for 0.25 OZ

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that's how i got the ancho seeds.

i am now only searching for 'piquillo' and 'cubanelle' seeds. i found all of the others i was looking for @ Lowes, by some freak of nature.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I meant to say "CHECK THE DRIED PEPPERS/SPICES SECTION" not fresh vegetables/peppers. They have just about any kind of hot pepper grown in mexico.

I am going to Gwinnet Farmers Market today to get some lemongrass to root and grow in my garden. I will check to see if they have those peppers.
    Cyrus

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sounds good, thanks! what did you find out?

up until i found Penzey's, i was grinding my own ancho chilis (whole, dried) from the farmers market on Buford Hwy (ITP, seeding and stemming, tossing in the oven, and grinding them in the (dedicated!) coffee grinder.

with PIQUILLO peppers being something Spain-native, i'm having a hell of a time finding seeds locally. CUBANELLE is used more in Puerto Rico, whereas the majority of the others i was able to find are specifically used in Mexico/Mexican cuisine. i think that's why it was so easy to find them :)

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I broke down and got a membership to Seed Savers Exchange. I'll just order them online. They have at least one variety of piquillo there, and several varieties of cubanelles.

Really would have liked to find them locally though!

• vroomp
    14 years ago

Drying your own seeds from peppers is not hard and they will grow quickly. Why not buy one of each pepper you wish to grow and save the seeds? You could be harvesting by July.

On another note: Jason, have you planted the wall we built for you? I would love some pics of it, if you have it filled in this year. All my pics show no plantings and it would be a nice addition to my portfolio. If you don't mind, that is.

• danita
    14 years ago

Home Depot has Cubanelle Pepper seeds. They don't specify what variety it is though.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

"Drying your own seeds from peppers is not hard and they will grow quickly"

vroomp

Provided the pepper is fully ripen.

I got seeds from fresh red ripe jalapano and habanero.
    I have planted them. We will find out.
    Green peppers like bell, poblano, cubanell, Korean sweet, Korean hot .. probably will not have ripened seeds. Even some red bell peppers I bought didn,t seem to have fully ripened seeds.
    I bought some dried chili peppers and have taken seeds from those for planting.
    But my peppers are not moving yet. I guess they need much warmer day and night teperatures. So is the case with my eggplants. But hopefully The weather will be more clement soon. Although basils are also warm weather crops, they have been growing fine and have true leaves on them.

I wonder if fresh pepper seeds germinate faster than dried ones?

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would expect that the dried seeds would germinate faster.

Brad - re: the wall - at the end of last season, we planted 5 blueberries up there (rabbiteye, diff't varieties). We also added two bareroot AU Rosa plums, but they're still whips at this point. I took out the black walnut tree that was hanging towards the house (which fell and cracked off part a hunk of the flagstone cap :( but ...), as a result, the area looks more bare than before. I don't know what else we will add, but rest assured, when the blueberries fill in towards (summer?), I'll happily snap off some more photos with the space more "full" looking.

I really need to update my landscape album in the next few months. Too busy with kitchen remodel.

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ps - Brad, if you want it, that small blue spruce looking shrub is still up there on the mound. you'd said something about wanting to bonzai it. it's about 12" tall now, perfect height to start trimming it back, and still not too tall to transplant!

• vroomp
    14 years ago

I salvaged one of the cedars already but, next time I get down that way I may stop by and remove it for you. I may get a chance this week as we are pouring new sidewalks over in Virginia Highlands area. Thanks!

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

no sweat! swing by! we're home all weekend just finishing up kitchen remodel duties (final electric, etc.)

if nothing else, you can always trade up @ a plant swap this year.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I grow organic cubanelle's. I've got some seeded but not up yet if you need some, SHead.

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok, will hit you up for that. you gonna be selling @ holy comforter, or @ village green? i've literally just got a lot of my peppers planted. you want to trade up for anything, or ??

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz