Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faeriegardenmum

rumex-invasive here in Ga

Bloody Dock, I found it at lowes in the clearance area. My friend and I cleaned up on it, for 88 cents each. fter planting it throughout my flower beds several months ago. I did some looking around to see what to really expect. It is from the Mediterranean, can spread in disturbed areas.
I am sure if I just don't let it flower or seed. I was just excited about the striking red veined leaves,etc. Edible, but bitter and high in Oxalic acid, so I won't eat it.
It is rumex sanguineus- acedera roja
What do you think?

Comments (5)

• natalie4b
    11 years ago

Organic, I was eyeing this plant in the nursery - glad did not buy it - no more "enthusiastic" spreaders for me. Spent the entire day yesterday yanking some plants that were planted "till I find something better to plant there". Big mistake, even if they look gorgeous.

• opal52
    11 years ago

I had this in my flower gardens about eight years ago. It is a very pretty plant. It never spread outside of the smallish clumps where they were planted. It was practically impossible to transplant once established because it puts down a very deep tap root, and didn't like being disturbed. I ended up digging it all up and eliminating it, not because it was invasive, or not an attractive plant, but because it needs regular watering to be at its best. The drought years and water restrictions in our area sealed it's fate.

• natalie4b
    11 years ago

Opal, it's good to know Bloody Dock is not that invasive - I saw it again today, and was admiring it's color and texture. Maybe I will give it a try after all...
    Does it do well in containers?

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

My friend has it in his garden; spreads a lot in and out the bed that he planted it. But then he has very rich soil.

• opal52
    11 years ago

Esh_GA, I have very poor soil, even though we have worked on it over time. The homes here were built on old cotton fields. I believe that leaves soil about as bad as it gets, but I'm not totally sure. I can't explain why the rumex didn't spread for me, since it apparently has with others. I grew it from seed I purchased from Parks Seed. Maybe it was a hybrid? It was very pretty.

Natalie, I tried growing it in a container. It did OK, but I eventually gave up on that also.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida