Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants that were bit in the freeze

Posted by ardis (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 8, 09 at 22:24

Okay, I am new to all this covering up plants. I thought as long as I didn't have any annuals out, I would be fine. I still have not surveryed all the damage, but I know I have some cannas and some wondering jew (purple) that got damage from the cold. What do I do now??? Can I just pinch back the dead on the Wondering Jew??? Will it come back this year? What about my cannas????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants that were bit in the freeze

I have asked myself the same question and came up with the answer:
LEAVE THEM AS THEY ARE FOR A WHILE.

Some of the plants may be able to cope with it and come back some may not. It would depend on the severity of the damage and plant type, I think.

o
RE: Plants that were bit in the freeze

The difference was annuals vs. perennials. Perennials that had new (tender) foliage nipped should recover. For the sake of appearance, you can trim off the withered foliage. For any foliage on woody plants, you can pinch off the withered foliage, but do not cut any wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here