Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

Native Plant Sale April 20

Iris GW
10 years ago

The super big native plant sale held by the Georgia Native Plant Society will be this year on Saturday, April 20th.

Thousands of plants will be for sale, many of them rescued with permission from local construction sites. Some things you can't get anywhere else because they just aren't in the nursery trade. Perennials, ferns, shrubs, vines, trees ....

The sale will be the same place it has been since 2010: McFarlane Nature Park in Marietta. For more information, please visit the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GNPS plant sale

Comments (15)

• apprenticegardener
    10 years ago

Despite the fact I had to pay shipping, I ordered a 2013 T-shirt so I could wear it to the sale instead of picking it up at the sale.

Best Wishes--Carl
    Atlanta, GA
    ITP

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well then we'll look for you in the shirt, Carl! I'll be in the trees and shrubs area.

• apprenticegardener
    10 years ago

Will sweetshrub be among those for sale in your area ?

Best Wishes--Carl

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, sweetshrub will be there.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    10 years ago

esh- I Got my 3 sweetshrub from the Chatahoochee Nature Center sale, 2 red, 1 yellow, 2 years ago, hope they bloom this year. Ii also got a dogwood that is growing huge, but hasn't ' produced one flower or bud, think it was mis labeled. It's a dogwood, just don't think it is the cornus florida tree.
    I am planning to come to this sale, guess we better get there early to get my trees. Did I miss a list somewhere on the GNPS site for the sale?

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi organic, there is not a list posted yet. But if you have any specific questions, ask here and I'll be happy to find out for you.

It is possible that CNC was selling one of the shrub dogwoods; the leaf should look similar to Cornus florida and have opposite leaf arrangement (unless it is alternate leaf dogwood which is the only one that doesn't).

Those sweetshrub do need a little sun to bloom. The blooms emerge with the leaves so if they leaves are out you should know if they are going to bloom by now.

• cathys1951
    10 years ago

Can someone send me a pic of the sweetshrub. I think I have some that I got from my husbands aunt. But I'm not sure what it is. She said sweetshrub or sweet william. Really confused as to what it is. Thanks for your help.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a link to a picture of sweetshrub:

There is a partial list of plants on the GNPS website now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    10 years ago

esh- I do want to get native dogwood trees, 2 or 3, smaller is good, no bigger than 2-3 gal, just want to know for sure its a tree, have to replace the one previously planted. I am also interested in the sassafras, heucheras, hellebores, more ground covers. I am a plant addict, but I have to depend on someone else to help me right now. Are there only natives? I may have to find someone to go with me.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, only natives so no hellebores.

There will not be any of the flowering dogwood trees (Cornus florida); those are best purchased at a nursery where improved, disease-resistant cultivars are sold.

• herboil
    10 years ago

Does anyone know if they are going to have anything that bears fruit or is edible or used as an herb?

Those are things I am really interested, like PErsimmon, or wild berries or ginseng( yeah right lol)

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some small persimmon trees, no ginseng, no wild raspberries. Plenty for wildlife to eat, but not humans so much.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I forgot, we'll have Gooseberry, Ribes curvatum.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And some American hazelnut (Corylus americana) showed up so that will be there.

• herboil
    10 years ago

oH MY goodness this is pretty tempting. This is the year and the time to change! So bring whatcha got and don't be afraid to give some away!

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994