Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathgrace_gw

Scented Suggestions

kathgrace
15 years ago

Newbie here! We finally installed our fence - the rub? I'm feeling like I live in a shoebox. I'm eager to plant (pretty much a blank slate aside from the grass) and specifically am seeking suggestions for great scented options. Ideally they'd be evergreen, but I am open to everything you are willing to share!

FYI:

I have gardenia growing on the exposed side of the house. They have done exceptionally well due in part to the shade the house offers. I do not see them doing well in the basically full-sun backyard.

I am more than moderately obsessed with Tea Olive, and will be on the hunt for those.

3 of my neighbors' back yards face mine, so evergreen screen options to soften the fence and distract the sightline are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (8)

• gamecock43
    15 years ago

I have several Jasmine vines growing on my chain link fence. This will be my first year with them in bloom...but my neighbors said Jasmine smells incredible.

• frannyflowers
    15 years ago

Hi Kathgrace, tea olives are my favorite scent for an evergreen.

I also like my Thuja Green Giants. They are evergreen and have a wonderful fresh Christmas-y scent when you brush against them.

And Pink Dawn Viburnum is one of my favorites for a deciduous shrub. In the winter they get clusters of pretty pink flowers and fill the yard with a heavenly scent. I also have a couple of Prairie Fire Crabapple trees that smell great in the Spring. I also have several types of butterfly bushes that smell nice during the summer. I especially like the Pink Delight, they grew really fast (to about 5 feet in the first year) and you can smell them across the yard.

• laylaa
    15 years ago

Personally I like Calycanthus floridus - Sweet Shrub foliage is aromatic as well as the flowers, but they do like a bit of shade from what I have heard. Mine gets a good deal of sun and is happy.

I'm not sure how much room you have but sweet shrub looks good with Myrica cerifera - Southern Wax Myrtle which can offer evergreen. Southern Wax Myrtle is semi evergreen (mine dropped leaves as new came in) and the leaves are fragrant, spicy. It comes in a dwarf or huge. Birds love the berries, particularly warblers which is a nice touch. I grew this before in a shaded spot and it never got too big, now I am trying sun, sweet shrub in front and I really like the look.

• kathgrace
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gamecock43, Thank you - I love Jasmine. I have had mixed success with the confederate on the side of my home. I'd love to try it out in other places in the yard to see if I can do better where the sun isn't quite as overbearing.

Frannyflowers, Your suggestions are brand-new to me! I will go to Pikes and see if I can locate them. Do you suggest an alternate nursery? I see you are in Marietta as well.

Laylaa, I have plenty of room to work with and love the idea of bringing in the myrtle, especially since it attracts birds. I am hoping to make the yard more hospitable to them.

So appreciative of all your suggestions!!!!

• frannyflowers
    15 years ago

Kathgrace, I bought the Pink Dawn Viburnum and Crabapples at Pikes. The Green Giants and butterfly bushes were from Home Depot.

• kathgrace
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Frannyflowers! I am headed to Pikes in the morning!

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

The Banana Shrub (_Michelia figo_), wintersweet (_Chimonanthus praecox_), and sweet-breath-of-spring (_Lonicera fragrantissima_) are three traditional Southern shrubs with delicious fragrances. The Banana Shrub blooms in the azalea season with the fragrance of bananas. The other two plants are winter bloomers. The Japanese flowering apricot (_Prunus mume_) also blooms in the winter with a fine fragrance that drifts on the wind. _Prunus mume_ is, however, a flowering tree, not a shrub.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

banana shrub has been blooming for a while now...a delicious fragrance, indeed! they always look sickly to me at the nurseries but they can become attractive evergreens with dark, glossy foliage after planting out. plant some of those, along with the osmanthus(tea olive), and you will have the fragrance of apricots and sweet, ripe bananas.
    might be an annual for you (dieback perennial for me) but flowering tobacco (nicotiana alata)for the front of the bed has a powerful evening fragrance which i really like. it won't hide much of anything but surely is a nice distraction to an unpleasant view. ;-)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals