Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia sinensis

Posted by girlgroupgirl 8 Atlanta (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 23:21

"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than other camellias. How much would that be? Full-sun?

thanks,
GGG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia sinensis

Dave's Garden says it can take full sun. Interesting that the leaves will have more flavor if given some shade.
I have sasanquas in full sun that do beautifully.

o

At the Charleston Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Is., near Charleston, SC, their plants are grown in full sun.

On a recent trip there, we noticed some of the plants in one field were in a state of decline. The owner stated that with so much rainfall last year and somewhat inadequate drainage in that field, the plants had become damaged because of water saturated soil.

An interesting place to visit, when touring the historic areas around Charleston.
When you go, don't miss seeing the Angel Oak Tree in that area. It's a Live Oak, Quercus virginiana, thought to be about 1400-1500 years old and the oldest living thing east of the Miss. River.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleston Tea Plantation

o

Lady Wind Surfer, that is very good information. I was thinking of planting them in a place that has quite clay soil, and probably in too much sun then. That's OK. I can plant them in a different place sometime. When I have shade. Since they taste better with some shade, that is where they shall go. I am going to be using them for white tea.

o

I planted 2 tea plants two years ago on the East side of my house. I bought them from Camellia Forest Farm. One plant looks very healthy and it is hardy to zone 6B. The second one is just OK, barely survived last winter, this is large leaf type and hardy to zone 7A.

I also have tried few tea plants from other nurseries, who clain their plants will survive zone 7, but I was out of luck. So I will stick with Camforest.com

I would not plant Tea plants under full sun. For Atlanta area, variety selection and site section are very important due to the cold hardy condition.

o

My camellia sinensis have done amazing after the first freeze when everything else wilted and died from summer. They do not get full sun but get quite a bit. I was not sure they'd live through the winter and wanted to post for anyone else in this zone considering growing them. I ordered them from www.greenteaplants.com so do not know if they are large or small leaf... Maybe large? I am in Augusta,GA and planted them in 5 gallon buckets because I'm at a rental house. Can give more details on the soil and fertilizer I used if anyone needs it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Tea Plants.com

This post was edited by StacieG on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 12:01

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here