Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Camellia sinensis

girlgroupgirl
14 years ago

"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than other camellias. How much would that be? Full-sun?

thanks,

GGG

Comments (6)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Dave's Garden says it can take full sun. Interesting that the leaves will have more flavor if given some shade.
    I have sasanquas in full sun that do beautifully.

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

At the Charleston Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Is., near Charleston, SC, their plants are grown in full sun.

On a recent trip there, we noticed some of the plants in one field were in a state of decline. The owner stated that with so much rainfall last year and somewhat inadequate drainage in that field, the plants had become damaged because of water saturated soil.

An interesting place to visit, when touring the historic areas around Charleston.
    When you go, don't miss seeing the Angel Oak Tree in that area. It's a Live Oak, Quercus virginiana, thought to be about 1400-1500 years old and the oldest living thing east of the Miss. River.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleston Tea Plantation

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lady Wind Surfer, that is very good information. I was thinking of planting them in a place that has quite clay soil, and probably in too much sun then. That's OK. I can plant them in a different place sometime. When I have shade. Since they taste better with some shade, that is where they shall go. I am going to be using them for white tea.

• alpharetta
    14 years ago

I planted 2 tea plants two years ago on the East side of my house. I bought them from Camellia Forest Farm. One plant looks very healthy and it is hardy to zone 6B. The second one is just OK, barely survived last winter, this is large leaf type and hardy to zone 7A.

I also have tried few tea plants from other nurseries, who clain their plants will survive zone 7, but I was out of luck. So I will stick with Camforest.com

I would not plant Tea plants under full sun. For Atlanta area, variety selection and site section are very important due to the cold hardy condition.

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

I watched a few videos on YT about growing them. Professional growers have shade clothes above them a couple of months or weeks before the tips are to be harvested...to keep them the lighest green possible (not so much chlorophyll). But, after harveting, the shade clothes are removed.