Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

Amaryllis outside?

buford
17 years ago

I live in zone 7 (on the border of a/b). I usually buy an amaryllis bulb at Christmas. After it blooms I leave it in the pot and try to get it to rebloom the following year. I've never been successful in getting a second bloom.

This year, I had one of my many 'non-productive' bulb pots outside. I moved it while I was planting something else. They all normally get leaves which then drop off but never bloom.

Low and behold, a few weeks after I moved this one, I see a bloom coming up! I think this one is at least 4-5 years old. It now has a fantastic red bloom on it.

My question is, can amaryllis survive in the ground outside in my zone? When would they normally bloom (I suspect not at Christmas time).

Or should I continue to keep them in pots and bring in during the winter????

Comments (14)

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

Mine lives year round outside now (and has for several years). And yes, it blooms at a different time than when forced.

• bmmalone
    17 years ago

mine have been outside for several years now. Infact they are blooming now and are quite spectacular

• vroomp
    17 years ago

Several Hippeastrum will remain hardy here in Atlanta and bloom each year between May and June. This year they seem to be blooming a bit earlier than normal. Some of the fancier varieties do not seem to be as hardy as Red Lion and Orange Soveriegn seem to be for me

• buford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, I guess since all I've ever had before is leaves, I don't have much to lose!

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

If you are expecting a hard freeze, it wouldn't hurt to cover the ground with several inches of mulch. The Bulbs will freeze if the temps are below freezing long enough. I plant mine deeper than the recommended depth and they bloom just fine. I bury them with just about 1/2 inch of dirt above the neck.

• dparkman Parkman
    17 years ago

I planted mine outside last year, and they are blooming beautifully also.

• celeste
    17 years ago

I have 2 blooming right now and just "relocated" 5 from this past Christmas. This is the time of the year they bloom after being forced (at least, for me). They do just fine and I've really never had to cover them. Since I'm sure to get more for the winter, I just don't worry about them and let 'er rip.

• vsjo
    17 years ago

I put mine in a pot, thinking I would have to bring it in and go through the steps of dormancy, etc. Now, can I leave it in a pot outside and just bring it in during a hard feeeze? If not, I think I will plant it in the ground, but when?

• celeste
    17 years ago

If you keep it watered during this heated time, you can do it now. I just planted a few more and they're doing just fine.

• baseballmomof5
    17 years ago

I have mine blooming right now too.. I put them in the ground up near the house and haven't had any problem.. Each year they get more blooms...

• buford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The blooms have faded, so I'm going to plant that one and the other two that only have leaves this weekend. Less pots to water!!!!

• cactusfreak
    17 years ago

Amaryllis in Buford.

• buford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WOW! Hopefully that is what I have to look forward to in a few years. I think this one already has 2 babies.

Now all I have to do is pick a good spot.

• vsjo
    17 years ago

WOW Indeed! Now I know I am definitely going to put mine in the ground. I would like to wait until fall and put it where I have annuals now. Good idea?

Sponsored