Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vnginger

Whatever is eating my hostas!!! - GO AWAY!!!!

vnginger
12 years ago

can't stand whatever is eating my hostas... Probably deer!!!

Haven't seen hosta flowers or hosta leaves the past 3 years... uuurrgghhhh

Going to try Bobbex... you all have any other ideas great ideas? i read up on the Irish Spring...

Comments (8)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I use Liquid Fence on plants that deer like to eat.

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

post pics...

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I used Deervik on my mom's garden. It stinks but it works for rabbits. Is supposed to work for deer too.
    Living fences work wonders for deer. Can you plant thorny hedging around the garden? I'm planning on native plumbs. Very thorny.

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

On a separate note: Not sure if strong smell of coffee will deter deers or not (I am hoping it will):

Coffee-ground mulch also can help reduce the ravages of slugs and snails. At a recent class, one participant announced that she always mulched her hostas with coffee grounds each day and had never before understood why they were never bothered by slugs.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/Give-your-garden-a-jolt-with-coffee-grounds-1126438.php#ixzz1NxQkHY2J

SECONDLY:

Gwinnett Tech's horticulture student gave me this tip to try on non-veggie plants:

Shave/shred Irish Spring (or strong tallon based soap will work too) in a cheese type of grater. Spread the shavings of soap around ALL plants loved by deers. Then rain water will eventually absorb the soap (or you can water the plants). According to this student, the plant will thus smell AND taste like the soap and deers will leave it alone.

Worth trying...I say.

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

Not that I am advertising for them or anything like this but several people on this forum have used miloganite.

It is available at Pikes or Lowes in Atlanta.

Will Milorganite Keep Deer Away?

A Cornell Extension agent in New York tested Milorganite on ornamentals that deer liked to eat and found it effective. His plots included yews,tulips, and hostas. His research in New York found that broadcasting this fertilizer at 5 pounds/100 sq feet, applied every two weeks reduced deer damage in the summer when alternative foods were available to deer. It was not proven to be effective in the winter when other food sources were not available.

In another research test, MILORGANITE FERTILIZER tied in sachets reduced damage to Yew shrubs.

At Berry College, in Georgia, Milorganite was found to reduce damage to Chrysanthemums in two different locations. Milorganite was applied overhead at 4 oz. per plant. In this study Milorganite did not completely emilinate deer damage, but it did greatly reduce it. They suggest reapplying the product after the first sign of damage.

In another study in Georgia, they research the effect of Milorganite to repel deer from food plots. MILORGANITE FERTILIZER did reduce damage to soybean crops.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Liquid Fence is the only thing that lets me have flower blooms in the growing season. That stuff works GREAT!!

• rosiew
    12 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE Milorganite for lots of reasons. Don't have deer here yet, but used it for years in my Roswell gardens which would have been ravaged by deer foraging otherwise.

At first sign of foraging, out came the coffee can of Milorganite, strewn all around the damaged areas. End of problem for awhile, then reapplied. It doesn't burn foliage, doesn't have to be watered in. Cost is about $17 for a 40 or 50# bag. Goes a very long way.

Thanks for all the great examples, T.

Rosie

• vnginger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have been trying coffee grounds. I don't know if it's working or the 'bugs' moved to the next home. I'll keep trying coffee until I see more damage. Then I'll try Milorganic or Living Fence.
    Thanks everyone!!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH