Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glitterati_ga7b

Advice on Euonymous fortunei 'Kewensis'

Glitterati-GA7b
10 years ago

I went to Pike's yesterday and found this groundcover.

I have a spot that is going to be particularly tough to grow anything but a groundcover on, so this looked promising. However, like I always do, I researched it when I got home and it appears it is a noxious weed here.

I already have ivy growing on the property which has been here for years and years, so I can only hope to control it and keep it away from the trees through pruning. I just purchased the home in February and am re-habbing the badly neglected gardens and yard.

The last thing I want to do is create another "ivy" monster in my yard and start an epic battle with this, too. And, I've seen what ivy does to mature, beautiful oaks.

This spot is in deep shade, on a sharp slope but right in front of a stand of very old oaks, inside the drip line of the oaks. I've put in a stone path in front of the trees and wanted something growing between the rocks in the path. I need something there, but I can cultivate the moss currently growing or put in less invasive creeping jenny or mazus.

Should I toss the Euonymous?

This post was edited by Glitterati-GA7b on Sun, May 19, 13 at 8:37

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

My personal opinion - you don't want another problem. Also my perspectives are heavily weighted towards native plants, so that is another strike in my personal book for this.

An excellent native ground cover is partridgeberry (Mitchella repens). I would be happy to share some with you from my yard.

• Glitterati-GA7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, esh_ga, I'd love some partridgeberry! Can I offer you something in exchange? I've been gardening in pots for a couple of years while I searched for a home, so I do have some hostas (Fragrant Bouquet, Guacamole, Sum and Substance, Sieboldiana, Krossa), some daylilies (Stella D'Oro, Purple D'Oro, NOIDs), and a lovely red blooming coral bell. The Coral Bell has never been so lovely as this year. It just loves this house even though it's still in a pot!

I, too, would prefer natives, especially since this area has already been planted only with natives since I bought the house.

I've been ripping out the liriope and putting natives in it's place but I have to go slow as there's a steep bank along one side of my driveway that already has some erosion going on where the city connected the sewer.

This specific area is the "house" side of that slope so I need to establish better choices as I rip out the liriope so that I don't add to the erosion.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

I think my email link still works from my "page" on GW, so send me a note.

A native "substitute" for liriope is Carex (commonly called a sedge). Many of them are evergreen and have good roots for holding an area. I agree that you need to be careful with the slope so that you are replacing as you are removing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Native Plant Society

• Glitterati-GA7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

email sent. Thank you!

I'll start researching the Carex now. Hopefully, it will take sun or shade since I need to put it in both exposures.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Yes, there are many species of Carex, some for sun, most for part-sun and shade (which allows you to choose two different ones or more!).

I have enjoyed Carex laxiculmis 'Bunny Blue' (morning sun) and have also used Carex pensylvanica in the shade.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County