Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mk87_gw

Macon State's Botanical Garden Storm Damage

mk87
15 years ago

Good article on the storm damage at MSC's Botanical Gardens if anyone is interested. I am so sad about this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Macon Telegraph Article

Comments (8)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

A real tragedy, that's for sure. Some things may be irreplaceable and of course you can't replace the maturity of the plantings and the shade the trees provide.

• georgia_rose
    15 years ago

We rode out this afternoon and it is heartbreaking, the whole pine grove with the camellias behind the lake just snapped off like a giant mower had come through. The pines along the front as well. The whole area has so many huge old hardwoods that are down or broken up. Rode down Pineworth and it is amazing no one was killed. My husband's grandfather used to talk of the one that hit their property in Bullard, GA in the 50's and took out acres of pines like a pile of broken toothpicks.

• mk87
    Original Author
    15 years ago

esh -- To me, that is the biggest impact this area is going to see...we have lost SO much tree canopy and with the drought issues already...

• killerv
    15 years ago

I too ventured out Sunday AM to see the damage. Macon State, which I graduated from, looks terrible. Glad there was minimal damage to buildings. I rode through Pineworth and that had to be the worst area I've seen yet, then we rode through Pinaccle Point, didn't have near the damage.The Atwood drive area was pretty messed up too and looks worse but I guess that's because the houses are closer. Thankfully, no deaths in Macon.

• trudyjean82
    15 years ago

I heard there were 2 deaths from the storm, so that isn't true? Ya hear all kinds of things when a diaster hits. I go to GAB once a week an was saddened to see all the damage. Have they opened up Eisenhower, I had been told it was closed for a while.

• georgia_rose
    15 years ago

Trudyjean, a man was killed in Laurens Co. and his wife was in critical condition. I'm not aware of any major roads here being closed now. I remember our rose visit several years ago, would love for you to come again.

Lisa

• trudyjean82
    15 years ago

Thanks, I may just do that. You still in the rose biz? I haven't been on the forums in a while. Lurking more than anything.

• georgia_rose
    15 years ago

Ashdown bought our inventory in late 2004 and we closed, but I keep some rooted to give away and trade. I lurk on a few forums a good bit but don't post a lot.

Sponsored
Trillium Gardens, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars44 Reviews
Richmond Area's Trusted Landscape Contractors | Best of Houzz