Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn8989_gw

neighbor planted tall cypress at top of my mixed shrub border

lynn8989
14 years ago

The right side of our yard is shady - young oakleaf hydrangeas, beautyberries, ferns, hostsas. On the left sunny side of the yard across the driveway runs a large mixed shrub border straight up along the whole length of the driveway. It slopes up to the dividing line between our yard and our neighbors. We planted alot of common shrubs last year (it was all ivy before) with the idea that we'd add some other interest this year. This bed currently has abelias, indian hawthornes, pipa's red lorapetalums, firepower nandinas and barberry. Also Henry's garnet iteas, but they are moving to the back yard. A month ago, our neighbors planted a series of evenly spaced tall column shaped arborvitae type of shrubs at the top, so now our shrub border looks wierd bc of the height differences. It needs some plants/shrubs to help it "step down" to our lower shrubs. Also, we have another small bed in the center of the front yard up near the house with a young Natchez Trace Crepe Myrtle and some blue daze lirope and purple verbena under it. I know I need some continuity or this yard is going to look like a circus. My house is a federal style three story rust colored brick. To make matters worse, my husband decided we needed a mailbox bed, so he ripped out (beaming with pride) a perfect half circle (about 12' x 8') at the mailbox. This one has good morning sun. Help Help with how to fix my shrub border and any ideas for this mailbox bed.

Comments (4)