Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Ears MIA

Posted by bagsmom 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 8:55

I have some elephant ears that I planted years ago. They are in the cute and tiny leaf stage. I bought some elephant ear bulbs (and green and white caladiums) from Pikes this year. Planted them maybe 3 weeks ago. I see no sign of anything. Are they duds? Has it not been warm enough yet? (I'm near Kennesaw Mountain.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Ears MIA

Caladiums take quite a bit of heat to come up. The ground must be close to 70 before you will see those up. I usually start them indoors(or in the green house) before planting outside. They like temps between 70 at night and
90 during the day. 50 soil won't cut it and you can actually rot the bulbs before they come up.
My Alocasia Macrorhizas have only just started to show themselves in the past two weeks and most of them aren't even up yet. I am off Sandy Plains Road not too far from you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Caladiums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here