Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamaspidermonkey

pruning Knockout roses

iamaspidermonkey
14 years ago

I was very busy early spring and I forgot to prune back my knockouts. They are now so overgrown and thin looking- Is it too late to prune them back (metro-Atlanta area)?

I think the answer is yes but I am hoping that someone has some experience w/ this.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

we pruned ours two weeks ago and all is/was fine. Those things grow like weeds, so I have never been worried about them.

• buford
    14 years ago

You can prune roses anytime. I don't have knockouts, but I've heard you can just use a hedge trimmer on them. I'd wait for the latest bloom to end and then cut them to where you want them. Dont' worry, they will grow back and you'll get even more flowers. Most roses love being cut back and will put out more growth than before. You may want to add some fertilizer when you prune. Rose Tone is an excellent organic fertilizer that will encourage new blooms.

• natalie4b
    14 years ago

From my experience - you can trim them short, have them in a part shade, and they bloom with joy and reckless abandon! They are life savers for me.
    And if you feed them - they would thank you with gorgeous blooms and beautiful healthy foliage.
    ~Natalie

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I second buford's suggestion of Rose Tone, this is a must for rose growers/

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

If anyone is pruning their Knockout roses, I would love to have the cuttings for trade. Check out my list. Thanks in advance.

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

All of the Knock Out® Roses are patented. Asexual Propagation is prohibited without permission from the Conard-Pyle Co.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville