Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's Living in my Garden?

Posted by jmzms z7 Alpharetta, GA (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 9:47

So my garden has been neglected and everything is overgrown. Today was my day to go clean it up. I get to the bed that has my lettuce that is way past due to be pulled out, so I start yanking. As I pull it up, I see a clump of pinestraw and thought "what's that doing there?" and pull it out. Then there's more and without thinking I grab it. Then I see it....a small brown fuzzy creature curled up. Freaked out, I exit the garden. After all, it must be a rat's nest (Lord knows I've had my fair share of those critters around). And I've seen far too many movies where disturbed creatures jump out and attack your face, so no way was I doing anything else by myself.

I go get my neighbor to help me. I'll dig it out, but I want someone there to call the ambulance when the rabid rat attacks me. We start pulling back the rest of the nest and sure enough, he's still in there. Along with a few of his siblings.

But it wasn't a rat at all. It was baby bunnies!!!! Mama rabbit made her nest in the grocery store. Quite convenient for her. Quite inconvenient for me. :)

Oh well, I guess I'll plant around the nest. And certainly, I'll have to plant extra as there are now more mouths to feed. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's Living in my Garden?

jmzms - you had me laughing here at work when I read your post mostly because I would have reacted the same way!

o

heehee! bunnies are a much better find than rats, even tho they eat a lot. Or maybe they're just a cuter find. Glad they didn't attack your face. That made me laugh! All I'm finding are slugs and snakes. bleh!

o

I too found a set of baby rabbits today. They were cuddled up behind a set of mulch bags that I had piled up under my deck. One of them tried to walk and ended up rolling over. Funny in a cute kind of way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here