Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karma4111

I'm so proud of myself!

karma4111
14 years ago

Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted a flower garden. My poor mother tried, but the sand of Florida was not condusive and she did not know a lot about amending. I do remember that my grandma, on my dads side, was always gardening and her soil was dark and rich with earthworms. I used to wonder why there was always coffee grounds and egg shells in her beds. Anyway, I started my first garden last year. The "soil" I had to work with was compacted clay mixed with huge peices of granite rock. I amended and amended some more. Yesterday, when I was digging up my lambs ear I found that I now have earth worms!!!!! Yeagh! I must be doing something right.

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Yeah You!! That also means you are helping to create living soil. Rain is contributing some to keeping the soil moist so that adding good stuff is easier. You reminded me to get my bucket over to the coffee shop (where I am making a garden in their really great soil) to gather more grounds!!

GGG

• mk87
    14 years ago

Good job karma! I'm proud of you too! Isn't it funny how gardening gives you little "boosts" every now and then? Just when you think nothing's ever going to grow the way you want or bloom when you want...something great happens!

GGG -- Me too. I collected grounds all year last year, and they really heated up my compost pile! But, I learned my lesson about the coffee filters. I was told they'd break down easily too, but they don't seem to in my pile. I'm not going to use them this year. I guess if I cut them all up into little pieces they might break down better, but not sure I have the time. We drink a LOT of coffee! LOL

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

sometimes it's even the small stuff that blows your mind :)

i FINALLY got my hands on two montmorency cherries this year. i got them really late in the planting season, when everything was coming out of dormancy, bare root (!!) and put them in the ground. dug about about 10 granite boulders in the process, but i got them in. i really didn't think they would make it. last week i saw leaf buds...ECSTACY! then i was floored when i walked out this morning and saw a FLOWER! "holy crap, this thing is blooming!! i might get a cherry this year!!"

it's always amazing, and it never gets old. EGO BOOST!

• mk87
    14 years ago

LOLOLOLOL satellitehead -- I can't TELL you how many times hubby and I have been out there and said "Holy crap! This thing is blooming!" about something or other. It's like we just don't believe it will ever happen, no matter how many times we are proven wrong! LOL Too funny...

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Yes, earthworms are great - I pick them off the driveway and the street after the rain. And as the others said, when something BLOOMS, then I know I did something right. Always a thrill.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

my false blue indigo finally bloomed this year for the first time in 2yrs since we transplanted, that was pretty exciting too! and we ate our first nanking cherry last night.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting