Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner Soil Question

Posted by KSlemons GA (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 10:42

Hello,

I am a new/beginner gardener. Actually when I lived in Louisiana, not a thing would grow for me. I used to wear the title "Plant Murderer". Since I have moved to Georgia it seems all of that has changed.

I have decided to start a container vegetable garden because I cannot dig in my backyard. There are about 20 huge trees and everywhere I stick my shovel, I come up with roots.

I have started a compost pile, but I know it will be months before it is ready to use.

I am on a tight budget since there is only one of us working right now. So I bought topsoil (cheap off brand) and some hummus/manure mix. I also pick up Starbuck's used grounds 3-4 times a week.

I mixed the topsoil with the manure and the coffee grounds. I also added a handful of Scott's fertilizer and mixed thoroughly. This is what I used to plant the seedlings in. So far it appears to be okay because the cucumbers, squash, tomatoes and garlic are all sprouting.

My question is, can I do this on a larger scale for when it comes time to transplant? Will this soil be sufficient for the long term? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for your time!
~New Green Thumb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner Soil Question

Hmmm. I'm not sure about adding coffee grounds to a small container. I haven't done that before when gardening in containers.

I use the Miracle Grow potting mixture that has a tiny amount of a slow release fertilizer in it. This MG mixture is heavy in peat moss (peat is very acidic), so I add 1 1/2 cups of dolomite limestone to each 2 cu ft bag of MG soil and mix it all together very well before using it in my containers. I have had success with this method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here