Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nccmama_gw

nursery recommendation near Sugar Hill

nccmama
12 years ago

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, independent nursery in or around Sugar Hill, GA?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

Northside.
    Woodys.

• User
    12 years ago

Northside Garden Center is at 950 Peachtree Industrial Blvd. in Sugar Hill. I've bought lots of plants from them. And their prices are usually lower than the big box stores and most other nurseries. If you continue south on Peachtree Industrial a few more miles there is a Pike's Nursery. But of course they are part of a chain and quite a bit more expensive. Still, I enjoy browsing there.

• rosiew
    12 years ago

Hope more people will add to this. I used to go to a bunch of independents in the Alpharetta area, but the pickings are slim up here around Sugar Hill. Sigh.

Rosie, in Sugar Hill

• buford
    12 years ago

I live close to Northside, it's a nice place. Where is Woody's? I've never seen it.

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

Woody's is on buford hwy near big lots :-)
    They mostly sell it to landscapers and don't really cater for homeowners (don't care about them)...so they don't carry stuff that HD-Lowes-pikes carry (pretty flowers/veggies/annuals/perenials etc etc). However I saw one man who had driven up from somewhere far to get a pomogranate tree..the last one that they had. I think if you request something, he might be able to get it for you. I HATE their hrs of operation. They close at 5PM and not open on Sundays. Sat only till noon...so on. I mostly see landscapers/home builders buying in bulk from them. Occasionally they have something good.
    And they are sort of cocky (to me)...if plant dies that its YOUR fault (according to them) and they won't work with you...they state that in bold in their store :-)

• rosiew
    12 years ago

Gotta step in to defend Woody's, T. They have a wealth of great plants - focus on shrubs and trees. I've bought things there I would have had a heck of a time finding elsewhere. Granted, they don't guarantee the plants, as in money back. Neither does Northside, btw. Since they sell primarily to contractors, their hours reflect that. Find the prices very good and selection great.

Most of the employees out on the lot are Hispanic, super nice, know the pricing and botanical names. Try to find that at HD or Lowe's.

I bought two super healthy fatsias there a couple of weeks ago. Great price too. Unfortunately, my 8 y/o neighbor cut them to the ground with loppers I'd left in the woodsy far back. Haven't replaced them yet, but have him watering the root system every other day - toting water from his house, not making it easy for him. They may come back.

Long story short, Woody's is at 2886 Buford Hwy. in Duluth. See on their website they were est. in 1947.

Rosie, in Sugar Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Woody's Nursery

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

I have been going there for 14 long years.

I found the helpers didn't want to help me much...they were always busy loading things for the contractors who had bigger orders I guess.

The owner (or the cash register guy) there doesn't like me and makes me wait, busy in "paper work" or he will run off the minute he sees me!!!!

I do like the nursery (for the plants) even when I am not treated well by the owners there :-(

I love plants, so I go there and browse, even if no one is helping and inspite of everything, I have sent many homeowners/friends there.

• buford
    12 years ago

Thanks, I think I'll check it out.

• rosiew
    12 years ago

OK gals, I have a plan! T, Buford and I need to go there together. We'll
    Inspire one another AND get some smiles from the inside guys.too.

Open Saturday mornings. Know you both work but have Saturdays off I hope.

Rosie

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

Rosie...missed the above message :-)

NCCMAMA: There is Randy's in Lawrenceville...really nice nursery.

Thx

• rosiew
    12 years ago

Bobbygil and I went to Randy's this afternoon. Great selection, BUT almost no plant tags, just price tags, and they sure 'ain't' cheap. Under new ownership since the first of the year. Lots of staff trying to be helpful but they didn't know their stuff. Many unusual, hard to find plants. Fell in love with a new to me variegated illicium but they couldn't tell me cultural reqs.

Rosie

Sponsored