Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opal52

Climbing vine for full shade

opal52
13 years ago

Are there any climbing vines that grow well for you in full shade? We had to install a five foot chain link fence along our back border today. I would like to take advantage of the vertical growing space with a climbing vine if possible. The area is shaded by two large oak trees and a sycamore. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (22)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Does it matter if it blooms? Some vines will do well enough to grow, but perhaps not well enough to bloom.

Does it need to be evergreen?

• opal52
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Esh, it doesn't matter if they bloom although that would be nice. Evergreen would be nice since it would add year round interest and a little privacy. The trees are all mature and do not have low hanging limbs so it gets a wee bit of dappled sunlight, but since it is so little I think it is considered full shade (??). I believe the main challenge will be soil moisture because of the trees. However, on the back side of the fence there is a property easement for a drainage ditch. When it rains a good bit, the area is nice and moist. If it would be beneficial, I could build a small raised bed in front of the fence to plant the vines. Any advice is appreciated.

• vroomp
    13 years ago

Clematis Armandii

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Decumaria barbara thrives in full shade in my yard, but doesn't bloom. And it is not evergreen. Clematis virginiana is also very robust (still no blooms and not evergreen).

• buford
    13 years ago

I have a jasmine vine that is growing up the posts under my deck. It's not full shade, but mostly shade. The vine does well and the blooms are fantastically scented. It has some winter dieback, but it's mostly evergreen in my yard.

• opal52
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Esh_GA / Vroomp, Do you know of a source in the metro Atlanta area for the clematis and climbing hydrangea. I checked the web and can find seeds for the clematis. Do you know if they can be grown easily from seed?

Buford, Is your plant Confederate Jasmine? I read it will work in part shade.

Thanks again for your help.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

opal - you are welcome to come over to my house and dig as much of both of those as you want. I am north of Roswell/Crabapple. Contact me via my email in my profile. I brought several pots of the clematis to the trade and they transplanted well.

I don't really know of a source for them for purchase.

• vroomp
    13 years ago

Sauls normally carries the C. Armandii and Climbing Hydrangeas usually show up at Pikes around June. Pikes will usually have the Clematis in stock as well but, may charge as much as $30 for one whereas Sauls will charge $18.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Is the climbing hydrangea agressive like ivy?
    What does it look like in the winter?

Dora

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Decumaria barbara is sometimes known as "climbing hydrangea". It is native to this area and is deciduous in the winter. It is not aggressive like ivy although in my yard it has ambled along for many years and is therefore quite prolific. Lucy came by a couple of weeks ago and took home four clumps.

I have it growing on a fence and it will be blooming any day now. I'll take pictures then. It's really a very handsome vine.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

esh,
    since most of my nightmares involve any kind of ivy or groundcover - I'm hesitant :)

I am willing;however, to explore this one some more if I could keep it tamed....

Dora

• buford
    13 years ago

I don't think my jasmine is confederate jasmine. That has yellow flowers and my jasmine has white flowers.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

That is the tricky part about using "common" names. Carolina jessamine/Carolina yellow jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens) has yellow flowers and blooms early in spring - that may be what you are thinking of, buford; it is a native vine.

The vine most commonly known as confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) has white flowers; it is not native.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate jasmine

• donna447
    13 years ago

I planted the climbing hydrangea last fall for first time. Although deciduous, it did not die back...perhaps because it was in such a protected area at the end of the deck. Just gets morning sun, and not even much of that now since we have so many trees. It looks great, has not been too aggressive (yet) and I am hoping to see if it blooms. My confederate jasmine has white flowers and is loving the shade...best of several places I've had it.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

My blooms have finally started to open today. Here is a picture from this morning.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

ok Esh,
    I'm officially in 'like' with that plant/flower.

Where can I find it? Would it do well being transplanted at this time (June).

and one more question.... How well do you think it would do if I grew it on a trellis as opposed to the side of the house (can't bring myself to let something grow on the house and we don't have any fences on our property.)

Thanks in advance for your answers and guidance,
    Dora

• buford
    13 years ago

ok, thanks esh, yes I have the Confederate Jasmine.

And now I want the climbing hydrangea!

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Dora - I'm growing it on a fence, so I think a trellis would be fine. It is a vine that "attaches" rather than one that twines.

I don't know if you can buy this one - I haven't seen it in a store, but you can sure have some of mine. You too, buford.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Esh for your generous offer.
    If you think it will survie a transplant at this time of year, I'd like to take you up on your offer the first full week of June. (I will contact you privately to see what works for you)

Forgive me with my ignorance but what does "attaches" mean?
    (I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into here, LOL)
    Dora

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Here's a good article on how different vines climb. See page 2 of this article. They describe them as having "tendrils that terminate in suction (holdfast) discs". Ivy is an example of a clinging/attaching vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: How vines climb

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Glad to help, Dora. It is certainly good to understand about a plant when deciding whether to bring it in.