Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing vine for full shade

Posted by opal52 z7b GA (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 12:19

Are there any climbing vines that grow well for you in full shade? We had to install a five foot chain link fence along our back border today. I would like to take advantage of the vertical growing space with a climbing vine if possible. The area is shaded by two large oak trees and a sycamore. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing vine for full shade

Does it matter if it blooms? Some vines will do well enough to grow, but perhaps not well enough to bloom.

Does it need to be evergreen?

o

Esh, it doesn't matter if they bloom although that would be nice. Evergreen would be nice since it would add year round interest and a little privacy. The trees are all mature and do not have low hanging limbs so it gets a wee bit of dappled sunlight, but since it is so little I think it is considered full shade (??). I believe the main challenge will be soil moisture because of the trees. However, on the back side of the fence there is a property easement for a drainage ditch. When it rains a good bit, the area is nice and moist. If it would be beneficial, I could build a small raised bed in front of the fence to plant the vines. Any advice is appreciated.

o

Clematis Armandii

o

Decumaria barbara thrives in full shade in my yard, but doesn't bloom. And it is not evergreen. Clematis virginiana is also very robust (still no blooms and not evergreen).

o

I have a jasmine vine that is growing up the posts under my deck. It's not full shade, but mostly shade. The vine does well and the blooms are fantastically scented. It has some winter dieback, but it's mostly evergreen in my yard.

o

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Esh_GA / Vroomp, Do you know of a source in the metro Atlanta area for the clematis and climbing hydrangea. I checked the web and can find seeds for the clematis. Do you know if they can be grown easily from seed?

Buford, Is your plant Confederate Jasmine? I read it will work in part shade.

Thanks again for your help.

o

opal - you are welcome to come over to my house and dig as much of both of those as you want. I am north of Roswell/Crabapple. Contact me via my email in my profile. I brought several pots of the clematis to the trade and they transplanted well.

I don't really know of a source for them for purchase.

o

Sauls normally carries the C. Armandii and Climbing Hydrangeas usually show up at Pikes around June. Pikes will usually have the Clematis in stock as well but, may charge as much as $30 for one whereas Sauls will charge $18.

o

Is the climbing hydrangea agressive like ivy?
What does it look like in the winter?

Dora

o

Decumaria barbara is sometimes known as "climbing hydrangea". It is native to this area and is deciduous in the winter. It is not aggressive like ivy although in my yard it has ambled along for many years and is therefore quite prolific. Lucy came by a couple of weeks ago and took home four clumps.

I have it growing on a fence and it will be blooming any day now. I'll take pictures then. It's really a very handsome vine.

o

esh,
since most of my nightmares involve any kind of ivy or groundcover - I'm hesitant :)

I am willing;however, to explore this one some more if I could keep it tamed....

Dora

o

I don't think my jasmine is confederate jasmine. That has yellow flowers and my jasmine has white flowers.

o

That is the tricky part about using "common" names. Carolina jessamine/Carolina yellow jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens) has yellow flowers and blooms early in spring - that may be what you are thinking of, buford; it is a native vine.

The vine most commonly known as confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) has white flowers; it is not native.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate jasmine

o

I planted the climbing hydrangea last fall for first time. Although deciduous, it did not die back...perhaps because it was in such a protected area at the end of the deck. Just gets morning sun, and not even much of that now since we have so many trees. It looks great, has not been too aggressive (yet) and I am hoping to see if it blooms. My confederate jasmine has white flowers and is loving the shade...best of several places I've had it.

o

My blooms have finally started to open today. Here is a picture from this morning.

Decumaria barbara

o

ok Esh,
I'm officially in 'like' with that plant/flower.

Where can I find it? Would it do well being transplanted at this time (June).

and one more question.... How well do you think it would do if I grew it on a trellis as opposed to the side of the house (can't bring myself to let something grow on the house and we don't have any fences on our property.)

Thanks in advance for your answers and guidance,
Dora

o

ok, thanks esh, yes I have the Confederate Jasmine.

And now I want the climbing hydrangea!

o

Dora - I'm growing it on a fence, so I think a trellis would be fine. It is a vine that "attaches" rather than one that twines.

I don't know if you can buy this one - I haven't seen it in a store, but you can sure have some of mine. You too, buford.

o

Thank you so much Esh for your generous offer.
If you think it will survie a transplant at this time of year, I'd like to take you up on your offer the first full week of June. (I will contact you privately to see what works for you)

Forgive me with my ignorance but what does "attaches" mean?
(I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into here, LOL)
Dora

o

Here's a good article on how different vines climb. See page 2 of this article. They describe them as having "tendrils that terminate in suction (holdfast) discs". Ivy is an example of a clinging/attaching vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: How vines climb

o

I think I will pass on the climbing hydrangea and admire it through pictures or in someon else's property.

Anything that attaches is probabaly not something I want to be attached to :)

I am very appreciative of your helping me to learn about this and your offer.

Dora

o

Glad to help, Dora. It is certainly good to understand about a plant when deciding whether to bring it in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here