Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Old Boxwoods

Posted by llorente (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 12:28

Hi all. I was asked to prune some old boxwoods, and I was wondering about the best way to do it. They are about 6' tall, fairly old, and they seem a little sparse on the inside beneath the outer foliage. I know that some evergreens can take a hard pruning to within a couple feet of the ground and come back vigorously. If I cut back old boxwoods to half their size, will they just look terrible for a long time and then die anyway?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Old Boxwoods

You first need to cut "holes" in them to let new growth grow in the interior. My partner at work showed me how to do this. That rejuvinates the interior core. Then you can begin to trim them back.

GGG

o

Here's a link to what GGG described.

I almiost killed some large boxwoods once when I pruned them severely in April.
They were a long, long time recovering.

Now when I want to cut boxwoods to say, half their size, I cut not from the top,
but from the back, leaving a green facade that faces the street.
Once the interior leafs out, the top of the facade can be pruned back.
Reducing the size of overgrown boxwoods is not an instant pruning job.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: The Right Way to Prune Boxwoods

o

I agree. I have seen hollies bounce back wonderfully after a hard pruning but not boxwoods. You need to make thinning cuts like they described above. It allows the interior to breathe and light to reach the interior for new growth. When doing this, I cut 6-8 inches from the end of the stem and do this on about 10% of the shrub, evenly of course.

o

Thanks for the helpful tips. I'll have to give these methods a try.

o
boxwoods are sparse from the bottom

Hi, my boxwoods are beginning to thin out near the ground. Instead of one uniformed hedge you can begin to see each plants shape from the ground up. It is getting "skinny" like a V from the ground up instead of like a U. i hope that makes sense.
what do you think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here