Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Best Option for planting into fabric

rjinga
15 years ago

I posted earlier on this topic (not 100% sure if I posted here or on the vegetable forum)

but anyways,

I have half of my garen spot covered with black heavy duty landscape/weed block fabric. The other half I took it up and then planted and did a heavy layer of newspaper with composted mulch on top thick.

I could take up this side as well but I"m wondering if it might be ok to just plant into (I realize that from the other post, I got mixed reviews and some said due to our weather, that the black fabric would be too hot? but I will have a ton of composted material that I can cover it with. this side of the garden will have squash, peppers, melons primarily

So, IF the agreement is that it's fine to leave down and plant into...then my question:

Would it be better to cut individual holes for each plant ( I imagined cutting a small hole where the plant will go, or cut a narrow but rectangular shape the length of the row for the plants that will go there) this rectangular cut would seem best for peppers, but maybe individual holes for squash and melons?

Any thoughts? suggestions?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County