Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shot_gw

esh

shot
14 years ago

Hi ESH. I stop by here every day - just don't have much to add to any conversation and my motor skills are not the best in the world anymore.

As you probably know, my eldest son, computer geek in Smyna, GA. came down and after a crash course on the tractor, planted for me. I had shelled about a ½ of a 5 gallon bucket of field corn. They planted everything they could find, so I went onto eBay and ordered a corn grinder. Hey! give me something to do. It is due for delivery this afternoon. Will let you know how it works out.

Couple of old female classmates are suppose to stop by this afternoon... uk! They never came to see me when I was well... One guy whom I never knew very well, would call or stop by every Sunday after church. Finally my wife went out and told him that the weekends were ours and not to bother coming by. Just watch the obituaries(?).

Shot

UPS ----- delivering smiles :)

Shot

Comments (20)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Oh, how did you know I needed a smile? That was wonderful.

Do let us know how the corn progresses. And feel free to chime in on any ol' topic. Wish you'd pop up on the 16th for the plant swap!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Shot, just stopping by to say Good morning to you! How grows the garden so far?

I went on a really neat field trip the first weekend in May. It was just up into the mountains of North Carolina and we saw some beautiful plants and scenery. I posted a write up and pictures on the native plant society's site. Have a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Field trip to NC

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Morning ESH,
    Those are some remarkable photos you took on your field trip. A lucky person you are. That is some beautiful section of the country.

Several years ago my wife and I took a vacation and travelled to Black Mountain and the Biltmore House. That place is truly amazing! We then travelled through the mountains over to Nashville, Tennessee to see the Grand Ole Opry. A wonderful experience and got to see some great country music stars including Little Jimmy Dickens which I first saw perforn when I was a kid.

Thanks for asking about my garden. You know that I am passionite about it. Between the washouts, freezes, deer and me wrapping it up plowing, the corn was about the only thing that survived! When I got strength enough to get back on the tractor, we got some more seed and planted some Pink Eye Purple Hulls, some Cream 8's, some White Acre peas and some more Peaches & Cream sweet corn. Will take some photos and post them in my Photo Bucket.

Really glad you had a wonderful field trip and thanks for the photos.

Your friend,
    Shot

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ESH, here are the pictures that I promised.

Field Corn

Peaches & Cream corn

Last planted Peaches & Cream

Fordhook Lima Beans

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Well, those are some pretty fields! Y'all do good work. Hope you get a dab of rain - we got a little drizzle this morning.

Thanks for the pictures and stay in touch.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Hey buddy, it's been a couple weeks! How have you been?

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi there ESH. Thanks for the message. Told you I stop by here every day... Just not too many people messaging(?).

I am about the same..... moaning, taking pills and going to the doctor... lol... Naw, I'm doing okay. Just get lonesome here by myself. You know my buddy in Warner Robins (Bill Butler Chrysler/Dodge) sent me a Club Car cart to ride around in. ESH, that thing is the cat's meow! Saturday I layed the last of the sweet corn by and now I just ride around the garden and admire. Have to do it now in case the rains have stopped...

So, how are you doing? Sure nice to hear from you.

Shot

here are the latest photo of my field corn (tall dark green) and sweet corn.

{{gwi:48682}}

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Shot,
    I'm jealous of all that corn.

When we did our raised garden bed a few months ago, I let my husband convince me that 2 bed that were 4X8 would be "plenty" for us to care for.

Not a good choice.

They are both filled to overcapacity with yellow squash and zuchinni. There is no room for the pole beans and silver queen corn that I wanted. Heck, we could have had 6 beds the same size and I could have filled every one of them....but looking at your corn....rares my green eyed monster up big time.

Hope you continue to feel well enough to do those things you love....with the people that you love.

Dora

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Shot, that sounds like progress! I am indeed jealous of your club car - so glad you have it. Sunshine is great medicine, so take lots of rides out there.

I hope you are getting enough rain. Maybe a little coming this week, hope we all get some.

Everything is fine with me. Have a small trip up to Nashville this weekend - first time I've been there. Won't actually be in the city, will be doing some plant related activities on the southwest side near Percy Warner Park.

Things are growing great here, blueberries (my only edible) are coming along. In the meantime, I am enjoying the ones in the store now that they are finally selling them in pint size. The blueberries that come from Florida/Alabama and NC are the best and the earliest ones in the store, of course. And peaches are also in the store - but hard as rocks. I put a bunch of them in a paper bag to ripen.

We should try to get a few more conversational topics going, so we can just chat amongst ourselves.

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Dora,
    I have about 2 acres of field corn (hickory king, I think) and two stands of Peaches & Cream. Grew some last year and would have done good if it were not for lack of rain when it was making. Maybe this year will be different. Have some where I can water it when needed. I use to grow Silver Queen, but research showed it to be a sweet corn and the Peaches & Cream a sugar enhanced sweet corn. Had two people tell me that the P&C was the best corn they had ever had, so P&C it is.

Last year I made my wife 3 raised bed 4'X 8' to grow her veggies in. This year she has two of them filled with tomatoes and they are making. God only knows what she will plant in the other one...

ESH, the Club Car is a life saver for me. I was house bound up until them. Now I ride around my garden at least twice a day. My wife works, so I am here all alone.

We were getting enough rain, but it has stopped. Like you said, maybe later on this week.

Nashville huh? Youngest step-daughter lives just outside of it somewhere. She plans to get married in August and plans to use our back yard under the pecan trees. I know it will be HOT!

Glad to hear that your garden is doing well. Have never growed blueberries, but have enjoyed dessert made from them. When I retired and moved up here from Florida, the landlady met us with a yummy thing made from blueberries.

Just got back from rambling around in my old Toyota diesel pickup and one of the places that I visited was my buddies veggie stand which is mainly strawberries, but has squash sweet potatoes and variou other veggies. He has some sweet corn to sell when it is ready.

Guess we should start a new thread as I messed up this one with all the photos...... YOUR FAULT!!!

Enjoy your trip and look forward to seeing you when you return.

Shot

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Shot, I'll have to check out that peaches & cream sweet corn. Silver queen was what we always grew but I'm always trying to find something better.

I figure you are either green and growing or ripe and rotten. I'm a lifelong learner and I've got decades to go, lol.

Take care,
    Dora

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dora, in this neck of the woods Silver Queen is the most popular sweet corn. If I were going to take it to the Farmers Market, I would grow Silver Queen, but since this if for home consumption gonna go with the P & S which is btw, a bi-color corn. Maybe you are like me...... I love it all!

Thanks..... you too,
    Shot

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I'm going to try late corn. Our clearing project is on hold for a few days, and I was hoping to get it in later this week...hope late corn will do OK.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Shot, we could use an update. How's the corn, how are you and how's life?

We're going to the beach next week - Myrtle Beach this time so I won't even get a chance to stop by and see you (which I would!).

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi ESH!!!

So good to hear from you. I am as good as to be expected, thanks for asking. My drawbacks are weakness, lack of muscle tissue and motor movement. I weighed this morning after my shower and it was 180 lbs. A far cry from the 226 that I use to weigh and I am 6 feet tall. I don't fall anymore (knock on wood) as I have learned what causes it and can work around it.

My sweet corn is over with. Had two patches of it planted at different times. Have already mowed down the first patch and planning on doing the same to the second patch this weekend while my wife is off work and can help me hook up the 6' mower to the tractor. The field corn is making and this morning I rode the buggy around it and pulled a few ears and took over to my sisters. It turned out pretty good. Have about 2 acres of it, so don't think there will be any shortage... we need some rain really bad, but will take whatever the Lord gives us.

The Pinkeye Purple Hull peas are about to mature and they love dry, hot weather anyway. The white acres have not started blooming yet, but have hopes for them.\

Okay on Mrytle Beach vacation. I envy you, but am not jealous. Maybe you can have some low coutry boil (aka frogmore stew) as they are known for it in that neck of the woods, I believe. Don't worry about stopping by as I am not very good company right now anyway. Just a lonely old man... lol

Appreciate an update on your son being he has his drivers license now. Yall be careful an enjoy yourselves.

GGG, good luck with your late corn. If you were closer I would gladly give you either sweet corn or field corn.

Love you guys.
    Shot

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

No drivers license yet - just finished the new mandatory education (30 hours classroom plus 6 hours on the road). Now it's time for practice (including some night driving). He makes me nervous, but he is very cautious about it all. We're getting a "student driver" magnet for the back of the car so other drivers will treat him more kindly (someone in a Hummer honked at him and then passed him on a curve the other day in Canton!). And he was in the official student driver car!!!!

Thanks for the update - we do think of you!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Thanks Shot!
    I still don't have corn in...or anything. We are still fighting with the city to be able to plant anything in our yard except grass and to not have any errosion either.

Just thinking about it makes me tired.

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ESH, wondered about your trip to Myrtle Beach. Hope the family had a wonderful time.
    Found out that my oldest stepdaughte (one that lives in Atlanta) also went to Myrtle Beach over the 4th.

GGG, done mowed all my sweet corn down and the field corn has made. Now I'm just waiting for it to dry up so I can pull some for seed and grinding grits & corn meal. Will be thinking of you and your battle with the city.

Shot

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Shot, what do you use to take corn of the husk for grinding, and how do you grind your meals? Is there a communal place you can take them - or do you have your own machines? This interests me for the future.

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GGG, found the most effective way to remove the shucks is to take a large knife (fairly sharp), place it on the ear (on the end where it connectos to the stalk), take a hammer or similiar object and whack the top of the knife, cutting the end off. Do the same with the opposite end then just peal the shucks off.
    I bought a corn grinder off of ebay that is cast iron, so it should be heavy duty enough. To be honest, I haven't put it to the test yet, but am looking forward to it. :)
    Will let you know how it works out. About the oorn, some of it I save for seed for next season and for that I want the center kernels that are flat. That is one reason I cut the ends off because that is where the round kernels grow and my old Cole planters won't pick up them.

Shot

Sponsored