Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
woo hoo! picked the first squash casserole!

Posted by cozy NE GA 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 13:58

It has been yet another weird Spring in NE GA but somehow it comes together again.

Had our first homegrown squash casserole of the season last night!

Some fine chomping finally shows itself. Fortex beans on the left, Supersett squash in the middle and 2 4x8 beds full of Yukon Gold taters on the right.

What ya harvesting now? Had strawberries, cherries and asparagus so far here.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: woo hoo! picked the first squash casserole!

We did bring in some tomatoes, but that was because they were weighing down a branch to the ground. And one yellow bell pepper that has been there for awhile and doesn't want to turn yellow. I may have an eggplant soon, but we just bought a squash plant this weekend that already has flowers.

o

• Posted by cozy NE GA 7 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 29, 11 at 19:26

No you did not just pull the mater AND pepper cards together? LOL

Hoping to set out pepper plants in the morning. Maters are some time away up here. Pic shows 2 rows; Jet Star on the left, Brandy Boys on the right. Further up the hill are 2 rows of Mountain Glory and one row of Christa. Hope to set out another row of Jet Star and a row of Mule Team in the morning too ... and a row of Classic eggplant.

Running behind ya Buford ....

Photobucket

o

Nice plot! What do you do with all the squash you get?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

o

Picked one cuke yesterday...it wasn't too big or too small. Nice and crunchy.

There are small tomatoes not ready yet.

I picked some hot pepper few weeks ago and its not flowering or nothing happening.

Some squash might be ready for picking this week (if no critter eats it or it doesn't get damaged).

o

• Posted by cozy NE GA 7 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 31, 11 at 20:33

"What do you do with all the squash you get?"

I wish that it was like all of that ;) Truth is, we'll eat a bit, put a little in the freezer and then start raising SVBs, stink bugs, etc...
2-3 weeks ( maybe) and I have to pull them, shred them and then burn them!
Picked 9 this evening and watered them with soaker hoses ... and perspiration! It is HOT ain't it? Maybe we'll get to see some spontaneous combustion of SVBs this year ;)

o

I have seven dixie hybrid squash plants in my backyard garden and I hope to have enough to put back a few for squash casseroles. The heat has been off the charts this spring in middle Georgia...when will we get some rain?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here