Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unusually exuberant foliage this spring. causes?

Posted by arauquoia z7b GA (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 14:36

1) The exceedingly mild winter (no true freeze, not one, where I live in Atlanta)

2) the continuously moist conditions.

These might be causes of the extraordinary leafing out this spring.

I'm wondering if high CO2 might be another cause. Plants love that. (In the recent reporting about the milestone recorded in Hawaii, there was also a note that the parts per million will now decline seasonally as the leafing out in the Northern Hemisphere gets going.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unusually exuberant foliage this spring. causes?

The warm winter, the early last frost-free date, and the moisture certainly seem to have a direct relationship to the "lush" character of all the components of my plantings and garden.

If the high CO2 contributed positively, however, next year's foliage may be negatively impacted due to the larger number/size of this year's foliage.

Having done a complete front and side yard landscaping early Fall last year, I'm pleased that EVERY flower and shrub (save one Forsythia) over-wintered safely and are all looking very healthy. In addition, the almost 3000 sq.ft. of new Zoyzia sod is exceptionally healthy, weed-free, and completely "greened-out" (we're ready to cut it for the second time this Spring already).

Best Wishes--Carl
Atlanta, GA
ITP

o
RE: unusually exuberant foliage this spring. causes?

It's the amount of rain we had. Very unusual and very welcome. But of course, it will not last.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here