Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blakeas

Rain Barrels?

blakeas
15 years ago

I am looking to get a few - However - the people selling most of them go for $125! Anyone know of somewhere in atlanta where I can get them much cheaper?

Comments (15)

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

My neighbor and I just made our own. He was talking about selling them. Do you want me to ask him? WE are in Cumming, (near exit 13 off of 400) not sure if that is too far for you. You can always make your own. there are tons of online directions.

• blakeas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess that would be best to just make my own - I should have thought of that. Can you give me directions?

I live in Roswell - How much would you want if I got it from you?

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

I would have to ask my neighbor, I think he was talking about maybe selling them for around $55. Her is a picture of the one we made. I don't think the $55 includes the overflow pipe, but I am not sure. That was something we added after he had talked about making them and selling them. If you are interested let me know and I will get a firm price from him. If you want to make your own just google Make rain barrel you'll get tons of ideas. Read a lot of them before you decide what you want to do. also if you go to youtube there are quite a few how-to videos that are very helpful. It would have been hard for me to do it without him since I don't have a lot of the tools he used to cut the holes and stuff.

• blakeas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess it would be easier just to buy from you or your neighbor. When I was reading about it last night I was wondering how to make sure no debris gets into the rain barrel from the gutter is comes from. Also, what do you do about mosquitoes? Can you remove the top of the barrell as well?

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

I have another thread where I am trying to figure out how to make the top removable on the next one. I have insect screening over all openings. You will still get some I am sure, but it helps. I have a screen between the downspout and the barrel as well. I'll let you know when I hear back from my neighbor. I just left a message with his wife.

Here is a link that might be useful: other thread

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

you've got mail!

• blakeas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry - that email address is wrong (how do you update it?) it is blakeas at yahoo.com

• yomamanem
    15 years ago

Carroll County Master Gardeners are making and selling rain barrels for $55. I have ordered one. They are very blue but I am probably going to paint mine with Krylon Fusion spray paint to make them look more "wooden-barrel- like." They have faucets and screened openings for the downspout.

• tatero_2000
    15 years ago

I got one for 40 dollars at a sale at the botanical garden in Athens. I believe they're being sold at Thyme after Thyme in Winterville Georgia as well.
    Filled up so quickly, I was amazed.

• georgia_transplant
    15 years ago

Tatero,

I just went onto the botanical garden website and didn't see anything about rain barrels-did you get them awhile ago? I'll probably just give them a call.

Thanks!

• toile
    15 years ago

I called the BG and they had me call Thyme after Thyme.
    They are selling them totally ready for us at $40.
    She said they keep about a dozen but the MG person lives close and can bring more.
    She said it was service and no profit for the store etc..

I think $40 with it already converted is great!

• blakeas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Any other suggestions places closer to Roswell, ga?

• rain_barrel_rae
    15 years ago

I make barrels in the Decatur/DeKalb County area. They are $80.00 but have two spigots secured inside the barrel and a hinged top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Barrels of Decatur

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I think Ladyslipper Nursery was selling them. They are just north of Crabapple on Hwy 140. I'd call first and make sure they have them.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

They are also at East Atlanta Village Hardware - the tops are removed and completely screened to keep out mosquitos. They also have very large 274 gallon containers attached to wooden pallets for easy instillation!

GGG

Sponsored