Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vietzero

Worst or Best Year In GA?

vietzero
14 years ago

How is everybody doing in gardening this year?? For me I face will frost bit and then hail this year. All the tip on my fruit tree fall off. There isn't much fruit this year either. There is one good things that come out of all these. All the rain make the plant grow really fast. For me I consider it is a good year for gardener. What about you??

Comments (6)

• shot
    14 years ago

Vietzero, between the 5½ inches of rain in early spring, (many washouts) fields too wet to plow, late freeze then the drought, which we are experienes now .... what garden. Be lucky if we get enough peas (southern) for my wife and I. Sweet corn and field corn looking good. Just ordered a corn grinder off of eBay.

Wish you the best in your garden.

Shot

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Mine is looking FABULOUS!!
    Granted, it's only 2 weeks old and wasn't planted until after all the hail. The rain this past week has helped and the fact that it's on high ground and in a raised bed has kept it from getting soggy.

My only complaint is that I didn't build 3 beds instead of the 2.

Dora

• karma4111
    14 years ago

My little garden is going crazy so far!!!! I have had to divide my lambs ear yet again! I had just divided them three months ago. All of my perenniels are comming back better thn ever and my rose(hybrid) is covered in blooms. So far, so good in zone 7B.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Shot, it's a hard year for those who farm, isn't it. I'm sure you are all glad for some water - but the drought did play havvoc on the hard pan and farmers are getting sogged out with rain. Our farmers market starts this week and things are going to be a bit slow to get going - many farmers are just now able to plow (last week).
    I have had some good and some bad in my garden. Very early (january) planted veggies are doing great. But VERY slow - normally I am finishing my greens - I'm just in the middle with them now and some of my later planted beds were not successful at all (putting summer stuff in them now). My flowers however are going BONKERS and are thrilled with all this rain! So are the weeds that are growing in the side and back 40 they the workmen have yet to come and get to working on!

GGG

• shot
    14 years ago

Hi GGG! Nice to hear from you. Yes, it is has been a trying year for farmers in this area. A farmer friend of mine had the foresight (actually, his wife retired from teaching school) to start a strawberry patch. When I get up that way he always treats me to some strawberry ice cream that they make there at the sight. It is really delicious. Anyway, I ask him the other day if he was going to do any farming this year and he replied NO. Just planting stuff for his cows (he has about a 100 head). Haven't seen any peanut patches at all, just a few fields of young corn.

My wife set out some tomatoes plants in some raised beds that I made her when I was able and like your flowers, they are flurishing.

The rain is to our west, but fizzles out before it gets to us.

I am on mild steroids, so I have more energy. Fact, I have been mowing down some sour weed (red sorrel, I think), but ran out of energy. Might just go out shortly and mow a bit more.

Nice to hear from you. How is the church going?

Shot

• vicki7
    14 years ago

Hi Vietzero,
    Yes, I feel a lot more hopeful for this year in my garden. My plants are just LOVING all the rain and growing fast. I'm even growing several kinds of vegetables, as well as flowers.
    Vicki

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor