Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celt_gw

Butterfly Weed

Celt
12 years ago

Does anyone know if any Atlanta nurseries carry Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa). Can't find it anywhere.

Comments (8)

• bobbygil
    12 years ago

try http://www.nearlynativenursery.com Call him , if he doesnt have it, which he usually does he can tell you where to find it.

• bobbygil
    12 years ago

I forgot one. Ga perimeter college has plant sales every Wed and Sat till end of May. Phone number is 678-891-2668 Hours: 10:00am - 2:00pm

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I don't usually go to nurseries but I know other people have had a hard time finding it. I have a small seedling that I got in a trade last year (a garden web trade!). It is still in a pot and about 3 inches tall.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

I saw some in Pikes (Roswell location) the other day.

• Celt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Nearly Native is out and the Butterly Weed currently at Pikes is an annual. The Monarch's will have to wait.

I do have some seed going but it takes 2 years for it to reach maturity.

I'm hesitant to buy any online......we'll see.

Thanks again.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

If Pikes is selling Asclepias curassavica then I would suggest you consider it anyway. Small plants can be overwintered and seeds often sprout from the soil (so it might be consider a reseeding annual). Monarchs really do munch on that one quite a bit, I have seen them prefer it to A. tuberosa.

• cindy_eatonton
    12 years ago

Olive Forge Herb Garden in Haddock, GA (next to Milledgeville - middle GA) has butterfly weed. They have quite a few natives and many herbs. Also an herb shop. Tell them Cindy said "Hi" if you go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olive Forge on Facebook

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    12 years ago

A.Tuberosa-Hands down one of my most favored babies, started from seed, some 10 or more years ago. I have many generations I have moved, sheltered, nursed, and babied. I even brought about 1/2 dozen from IL last year, teeny, tiny babies last year, ready to bloom this year, I will be watching for more. Be patient with what you have, but I would be willing to let you adopt one, though risky at this point in the season. It doesn't take long for them to put down the deep tap roots. I usually move them when they are just an inch or two, but did successfully move the original Mother when we had to repair a foundation crack, in very early Spring, w/just a bud of new growth on the crown. The tap root was over 1 1/2', I believe the severed root, grew anew, or just new generations, in the same spot. I just got some different ones at the last plant sale. I think the first will always be my favorite, thus the start of my love for orange flowers. A plant any Mother could love. Yes, I am waxing mushy over a plant, too many hours on this yard project, and not enough sleep.

Sponsored