Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevinga

Difficult/Easy to grow Mock Orange in GA?

bevinga
15 years ago

I'm really finding myself to be rather hesitant in planting new shrubs and/or certain perennials this year due to the fact that not only is it already dry (in my yard, at least), but the extended outlook for the summer is a continuation of the drought. I would love to replace some of my lost azaleas and rhododendron but I'm afraid that already the heat is too high and of course, as I mentioned above, my yard is extremely dry that I'm just setting myself up for failure and any new azaleas and rhododendron for certain death.

I have a subscription to GardenGate Magazine and in the January 2008 issue, Mock Orange is listed as one of the most fragrant shrubs. I don't think I've ever seen a Mock Orange (to know I'm looking at it, that is), but anything with gorgeous, white blooms just makes me sigh in my desire to plant it and watch it grow.

So is Mock Orange difficult or easy to grow in NE Georgia? Would you recommend I try to find one and plant it THIS year, or should I wait to see if the drought ends next year? What conditions does it really like? I read it needs full sun to partial shade. There is hardly any areas in my yard that has full sun, and most of it is from partial to full shade. Would it work in those conditions?

Thanks for your advice!

Beverly

Comments (9)

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

I've had mine for three or four years now and its doing fine. I only watered my garden twice last year, so drought doesn't appear to be an issue. good luck. (BTW it is rally beautiful at the moment!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Very easy to grow! This is one of my very favorite plants!
    {{gwi:573304}}

It's hard to tell, but this one is about 7' high.
    I would only buy one in bloom, however, to make sure you get a fragrant one.

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

I just saw some at Pike's. I believe it was only listed to zone 7 on the high end so I worried that heat could be an issue. I had one in Illinois and it was right by the window. Smelled wonderful, but after it finished it was just another big green bush, so put it somewhere accordingly.

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

Good advice from bumblebeez, buy when in bloom.
    There are also dwarf varieties(3-4'), ones with single, semi-double or double flowers and one with variegated folige.
    There was one, planted by the former owner, on this property, when I purchased it many years ago. It seldom bloomed and was not fragrant, so it was replaced by a Camellia. It could have been a native one, collected from the area while it was being developed, since the native ones around here aren't fragrant.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I believe Philadelphus coronarius is the supposedly fragrant one (and non-native) while Philadelphus inodorus is the native one (and not fragrant). I imagine that P. coronarius is what is in the stores, but I agree that you should try to buy it in bloom to be sure.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I'm growing philadelphus inodorus down near the Florida line, they will grow in Georgia.

The nice thing about philadelphus, they follow the dogwoods and have a longer period of bloom.
    Then oakleaf hydrangea comes into bloom after philadelphus, extending the season of white clouds of bloom in the garden.
    Nell

• bevinga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bumblebeez...the picture is gorgeous! I'm really going to have to consider one of these.

Thank you, all, for the information concerning finding a fragrant species; I would have never known there was a difference.

foxesearth...I've been seeing something in bloom that began blooming just as the dogwoods faded around here. I'll have to take a closer look in some of the neighbor's yards and see if that is what they've got. If they can grow it in this rocky soil, then so can I!

My oakleafs are just now putting on blooms...they are covered, especially compared to last year. The late freeze kept them from having very many blooms, but this year I'm excited to see them back in old form.

Again, Thanks!
    Beverly

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

I have one for over 5 years now, and absolutely love it! Never water it (let Mother Nature take care of it), and at the present moment it blooms wonderfully! In the evening it stands out in my "moon garden" - very pretty and care free. Just today I mentioned to my DH how much I love this shrub. It is located right behind our swing set - a great addition to the garden.
    Go for it!

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Thanks Esh for telling us the difference between the types. I didn't realize one would be native. Notice the native has fewer petals in the flower. We are selling this at work, so I will mark it native!

GGG

Sponsored