Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianega

Where to buy trellis netting?

DianeGA
14 years ago

I'm looking for some trellis netting - the nylon kind with large (6-7") squares. Want to try my hand with pole beans & cucumbers this year. All I can find are online sources. Do any local stores carry it?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• barbwire_2009
    14 years ago

Any garden center should have it. It may be listed under bird netting. You may have to ask for it.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Good idea, diana!

I will try that too. I never liked chicken fence. They are rigid and heavy. With nylone you can mount it on two poles,
    stretch, angle it the way you want, drive the poles in the ground And pull it out at the end of season, roll it, store it for following year.
    I will definitely look for it for my cucumbers. Too late for peas.
    Another use of it can be an invisible wall to support/separate rows of tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers.
    My imagination is running wild now (grin)

• mad_gardener
    14 years ago

The holes in the netting aren't that large, but Walmart does sell what you're looking for. Check the garden center. It's usually sold on the display with the plastic stakes & wire plant supports. I can't remember how they label it though, and unfortunately by now I believe that I've thrown out all the packaging.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I got nylon netting at Lowes. They had all shapes and sizes. I found it in the back of the garden section, where they put all the trellises, gate and stone supplies.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I should have gone to Lowes.

I bought a plastic mesh, green color, with 1 " by .5 inch rectangular openings. It came as 40 inch wide by 25 ft long roll.
    I Bought it for $8.95. not bad. I already installed a 9 foot length for my cucumbers, at about 45 deg angle instead of vertical. I used two 1X2 cedar stakes (one at each end). That cost me $3.50. I have alot more left of the screen.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

The stuff I bought @ the aforementioned big-box store was approximately ~1"x1" netting. Might have been 3/4"x3/4"

I used it for both cucumbers and climbing beans. I had no problems at all with damage to vines or fruit when climbing with a grid this tight. 6"x6" squares seems like overkill to me, but some might say the same about 1"x1", I suppose =) the smaller grid just gave me more options of how/where to tie it down to the old iron gate I'm using for a trellis.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Home Depot at Shakleford has 1"x 1" green plstic mesh (not nylon). 40" x 25 ft, @ $10.95. This and the one I bough are
    sturdy material that won't sag.Also, it will not cut the vine when winde or under weight, as opposed to nylon like fishing line. As satellitehead mentioned,
    6"x 6" is not that good. I think the vines can fall through under it.

• janen
    14 years ago

Both HD & Lowe's have plastic bird netting and deer netting in rolls at the back of gardening supplies where they keep the stones and bags of fertilizer. HD also had some plastic chicken wire in rolls over in the building supplies where they keep the fencing & rebar. I was trying to find something to keep my cats from jumping over the fence. They are afraid of the netting and now don't even try to jump the fence. I may try it for the cukes, good idea. Thanks

• gardennutjoe
    14 years ago

Here's the best deal going for trellis netting. 56" wide, 176 FEET long with 60 lb. soft weave nylon for $9.50 and postage isn't too bad.

www.leevalley.com

Sure beats the heck out of .50/ft (or 87.50)!!!

• diskdoctor
    14 years ago

Sorry to burst your bubble but what Lee Valley sells is 56 INCHES by 175 INCHES which works out to a price that's a little more expensive than everywhere else. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and Lee Valley is the only place I've found so far that sells this stuff and shipping from the U.S. kills the deals at all the U.S. sites. Anybody in Canada use the stuff with the large holes?

• gardennutjoe
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks. On my screen it appears as 175' but on really close inspection it really is 175". I am canceling my order immediately. Darn it, I hate it when a good deal goes sour. This appears to be a little misleading because no one else I've seen uses inches for lengthwise measurement. Sneaky.

• LadyGard
    12 years ago

I am looking for a trellis net much wider than 56 inches as well. Is it hard ordering this sort of item online from Canada?

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!