Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggy67

Epson Salts

peggy67
14 years ago

BH brought home some scented Epson Salts. I cannot stand to smell it in the house. Is it okay to use it in my garden? I know lots of folks use the regular kind around their plants. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Of course.
    If it is good enough for you to drink, take bath with and soak you tired feet in it, sould be good for your plants too,

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I had to revive this thread.

Perhaps Epson Salt is one of the least appreciated nutrients for the plants. In MG plant food they have some trace of it (magnesium sulfate). but probably not enouhg.

Since epson salt (magnesium sulfate) is water soluable, it can be more effectively used as "Foliar Feeding". As the thirsty plant absorbs the water through its leaves so it does absorb epson salt. Sprinkling on the soil is another way but , in my opinion, it could be hit or miss.
    For that reason I use it as folia feeding. Normal amount is 2 Tblspn per gal. But I use half of that but instead more regularly. I used it lasst yeay for the first time and my tomatoes were better than ever bore and I also got more and better pepper.
    This year I am going to use it more regularly. I have heard long time ago that peppers, in particular, benefit from epson salt. I have not heard or read abut any bad side efect of using ES. What is more, is that it is inexpensiv; cheaper than all-purpose fertilizer, pound per pound.

What do you think? any experience? any comment? lets share and spread the knowledge as Johnny Apple did with the apple tree.

INTERNET IS THE BEST THING AFTER THE BALL POINT PEN (Grin!)

Cyrus

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

One of the reasons I have NOT put it on plants is BECAUSE it's in Miracle Grow. That stuff scares the livin' jeepers outta me.

• janen
    14 years ago

GGG - now you've got me scared. What does it do?

• razorback33
    14 years ago

I have never used ES, because it contains much more Sulphur (Sulfur) (S), than the Magnesium sulfate content. Sulphur acidifies the soil, after conversion to Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) in the soil and if there is one thing I don't need, it's more acidity in my red clay soil!
    Rb

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

When we switched our garden to all-organic there were some issues with our soil here. The previous owner was really into Miracle Grow. I think many gardeners overuse it and that can lead to an imbalance.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I do not have a MG to see if they have magnesium sulfate(epson salt) in it, but usaually anything other than NPK are just trace elements and most of them are less than 1%. so I don't think that the use of MG will build up too much magnesium sulfate.

Cyrus

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Magnesium Sulfate is not the only component of Miracle Grow. The ingredients of MG all together feed plants but do not feed soil, conversely, over time they will starve soil and thus starve the life that lives within the soil structure.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Yes, I agree with you on MG. MG fertilizer is not my favorite either.
    I usually use triple 10 or others. MG to plants is like sugar for us; The provide quick energy but are not healthy.
    But we are talking about epson salt here and its benefits to plants.
    Cyrus

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I will not use any chemical based fertilizer. One of the reasons is they are all carried by salts. My own compost and fish fertilizer seem to work wonders!

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

You can not find a better suppliment for plants and especially roses as it add oxygen into the soil. It will make roses stand up and do back flips. It is also good for all plants at it adds oxygen in the soil for them too. I use about a cup for each rose bush and plant.

Sponsored