Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Shady Shrubs for moisture (that aren't too big)

girlgroupgirl
12 years ago

I'm most specifically asking Esh this question, but please chime in everyone!

We have a narrow side yard that is about 8' wide, and I would like to put a walkway down one side (closest to the fence, I think, over the French Drain) and against the house I would like to put some slighly raised beds and add shrubs, vines on the downspouts...it gets some sun during the day, but mostly shade. I think I particularly would like some native shrubs if at all possible however it would also be a nice spot for non-natives (it's a great location for daphne, and perhaps a korean spice viburnum (near windows, the scents would be appreciated). I can squeeze in a few taller shrubs, mostly shorter (under windows!!).

The retaining wall has a very very narrow space for some plants to grow in: on the fence some jesamine and jasmine (perhaps the variegated type, any variegated plants in this area would be lovely) and some more evergreen clematis. Trailing vinca and Lirope will probably fill in the edges and can creep to my neighbors yard. I'm putting a garden in on her side of the fence too.

I need a few more shrub suggestions and would like some natives that are not too wide (?).

Thanks!

GGG

Comments (6)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

That is a tight space for shrubs. And the moist habitat will bring out some potentially aggressive behavior. 'Little Henry' Itea virginica, for example, is fine with moist but it tends to sucker a bit in ideal conditions (i.e., moist). Stay away from Clethra alnifolia 'Hummingbird' - that really suckers. Ilex glabra 'Shamrock' or 'Compacta' might work, might need occasional pruning but probably not every year as these are not fast growers; like all hollies they tolerate pruning very well.

Could you consider a larger herbaceous perennial? Cinnamon fern and Royal fern would love it and get tall and gorgeous - an almost prehistoric effect with up to four foot fronds. Black cohosh (Actaea racemosa now) or Goatsbeard (Aruncus dioicus) would have similar looks.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Dwarf skimmias should work well and they are beautiful though you have to make sure to get at least one male.
    I don't remember which gender are more attractive but overall they are small, refined and lovey.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Holly fern would be very attractive. Also leucothoe (sp.?), which I believe is a Southeastern native evergreen, relatively lowgrowing shrub that may be indigenous to the SC/GA/NC mountains. Is there enough sun for butterfly ginger (_Hedychium coronarium_)?

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jay:
    You have some great thoughts for this area! Although I want ferns, I will probably choose a fern for which I can grow fiddle heads to eat :) Our hope is that eventually either on or near the fence we can put scuppernogs or muscadine for a little more shade. Right now we can't put those supports on the fence as the City has decided for my neighbor and I that anything non fency is a structure we should not have the right to want. Both of us want! The extra shade will make a lovely place for leucothoe and yes, there is some place for the gingers. Including the other side of the fence (my neighbors yard). I'm working on some simple gardens to run along her fence as well, and we need anything that creates a nice network of roots as there is erosion and an occassionally digging dog.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

ggg,
    Another shade plant that I dearly love is the old-fashioned, Southern heritage perennial--the August Lily (_Hosta plantagenia_). It is one of those traditional passalong plants, grown for generations. In fact, it is the only hosta that I care anything about growing, largely because of the nostalgia associated with the plant but also because of its many fine attributes. It's a little hard to find in the nursery trade. Plant Delights has it available, as do several other high quality online nurseries. Carried on long petioles, the leaves are large, cordate, and prominently veined--a pleasing shade of apple green. The bold, white, intoxicatingly fragrant trumpet-shaped flowers are borne in August--hence the name "August Lily." Like other members of the hosta tribe, the August Lily produces many flowers per flowering stem.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jay, I did have tons of August Lily but they got wiped out in the tornado in my back yard. They are also not evergreen. Right now I'm on the hunt for evergreens simply because it makes it much easier on me. This is a very little used space but will be "viewable" through windows which have always had curtains on them (so close to neighbors). I can't wait until we can keep the windows open and see something all year (the evergreen-ness also helps keep weeds smothered)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH