Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Help Identify These Plants, Please

nwgatreasures
13 years ago

#1 Weed :(

#2 Perenial (doubled in size this year) I'd like to know can I transplant it now and if not now, when and where to?

#3 Tall shrub/tree?

(yes, I know there is some yellow vine growing in it)

Here's a close-up of blooms/leaves:

Thanks in advance for helping me out,

Dora

Comments (5)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

#2 a type of milkweed
    #3 silverbell or Deutzia. Not sure which one!

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    13 years ago

#3 is definitely Deutzia and not silverbell. Thanks :)
    Now that I know what it is, I know better how to position it and help it thrive :)

That weed is horrible and I can't seem to get rid of it.
    It is growing all amongst my irises. I am soooooo tempted to pull up the irisis and put them somewhere else and just wipe out that entire area where there is this weed growing along with some poison ivy (which I am deathly allergic to)

Dora
    (who is happy to say that she had someone come by today to give her an estimate on removing 9 35 year old boxwoods from the front of her house) Yippie!!

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

The first one is Trumpet Creeper, Campsis radicans. It is a native vine and beautiful in flower, but aggressive. Looks great in the middle of nowhere on a telephone pole!

The vine in the Deutzia is japanese honeysuckle.

The milkweed seems to be Asclepias variegata, white milkweed; more shade tolerant than others. Host plant of monarch butterfly caterpillars.

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Esh,
    I appreciate your reply and since there is no telephone pole in my yard, that vine will have to go, lol.

I love the way that honeysuckle looks but I'm concerned that if I leave it, it will overtake everything so it'll have to go too.

Looked on Walter Reed's site and he recommends to transplant irises in May after they bloom. Other sites say to wait until August/September. What do you guys/gals recommend?

I've worked on everything except this garden bed area and it's next. I'm thinking about transplanting the irises to a front corner flower bed area where my tulips come up in teh spring. My thoughts were to put the irises right on top of the tulip bulbs so that there would be something in that area the other 11 months that nothing grows and so that the dying foliage of the tulips would be masked with the constant green of the iris.
    Any thoughts in favor or against that idea?

Dora

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

May, because others sites are considering that in other parts of the country, irises are blooming in June and July too.

I am dividing and trading my irises now!

Sponsored