Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmalone

now up to fourth snake of the year..

bmmalone
15 years ago

any one else seen as many so far this year?

Comments (11)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Well, not in my yard. I did find two babies in my yard when I was planting things in March. Apparently they hibernate in the duff layer and I popped them out when I was digging holes.

Then I was in the woods on a plant rescue and I saw two big black snakes - they ran well ahead of me once they felt the vibrations I made by walking.

• bevinga
    15 years ago

I've only seen one this year...on my deck. It was probably a king snake. My husband doesn't want me to chase him away...great...because of keeping down the frog/chipmunk/critter population.

• squirrellypete
    15 years ago

Oddly I haven't seen any snakes on our property yet this year. Maybe they all migrated to your place! Every year we usually have our share of Rattlers, Copperheads, King, etc...and I've been on the lookout but so far nothing.

At the same time we seem to have an unusual abundance of two kinds of salamanders and some kind of large brown scaly lizard I've never noticed before. It's funny watching them run all over the place but I've already had to rescue a red-colored salamander from my mouser cat twice today and relocate him(at least I'm assuming it's the same one). This little guy is definitely doing his best to be a poster child Darwinism.

Danielle

• squirrellypete
    15 years ago

OK, I spoke too soon. The morning after my post I was out in the woods trying to find a site for the cistern and I almost stepped on a slow-moving rat snake. He was about 2 1/2 feet long and didn't seem at all concerned by my presence. He just slowly meandered across my path and on his merry way. I guess they didn't all migrate to your place after all.

Danielle

• rosiew
    15 years ago

I've seen three so far and have this question: one 18" racer was brought in by one of my cats. When I picked up the snake, a small amount of blood got on my hands. Couldn't spot the injury, so after holding and warming the snake, I placed it under some shrubbery and it wriggled away. Question is whether I should have tried disinfecting the wound before release, or caged the snake for awhile to let it recover.

Your advice/opinions very welcomed.

Rosie in Sugar Hill

• gmom74
    15 years ago

Digging around under an azalea yesterday I uncovered a brownish patterned snake- I don't think it was but about 8 inches long but it was fat. It uncoiled and slithered away before I got a look at its head. I can do without snakes but I'm not afraid of them.

• wayne_mo
    15 years ago

Rosie,

You did the right thing by releasing the snake. From what you describe it should recover and heal fine and I think you give it its best chance by releasing it immediately and foregoing the human interventions you describe.

"any one else seen as many so far this year?"

I've seen two hundred and thirty four since March 1st of this year but since I actively go out of my way to look for them as a hobby it's probably cheating for me to play ;-). Most of them were off property so if we only count my yard/property and immediate vicinity I'm down to only twenty-eight.

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

My daughter caught this one today. We let it go after about 10 minutes of trying to look it up in our books. I have a hard time id'ing them when they are so small. Anyone know what this is?

snakes

• wayne_mo
    15 years ago

Kathy,

Your snake is a Midland Brown Snake (also called Dekay's Brown Snake). They are a small harmless snake. Adults are usually between 9 and 12 inches long.

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

Thanks I will tell my daughter. She loves snakes.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

My son spotted one on the deck railing this evening. Very faint markings on a black base, so I thought it might be a king snake. After a little while, it slithered up into a tree via a low hanging branch. Not sure if king snakes go in trees. We were thrilled.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022