Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiagirl_gw

I Have Bananas!

georgiagirl
15 years ago

A month ago I noticed that my 4 ft. banana tree had put out only a couple of leaves, but there was an unusual object growing in the very top of the first leaf on the stalk. I thought it was new leaves beginning. A week later a friend knocked on my door and asked what the strange thing was growing out of my banana tree. Well, to my amazement when I went out to look, I saw a row of flowers beneath a tiny bunch of green bananas, all of which were on top of the pod-like object on the top of the tree. Since then, the petals have continued to curl back and display more flowers and more bananas. Since I have not seen bananas growing in the Savannah area, I am in awe of the transactions that are taking place on my banana tree. My question is, when the bananas are finished forming, will the tree die? I don't understand why the tree only has a couple of leaves, and they look rather sad to tell the truth. I'm getting lots of opinions from neighbors, but nobody really knows what they are talking about. If any of you have grown bananas, maybe you can give me some advice.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions