Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain Laurel

Posted by natalie4b 7b GA (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 21:22

I went to a Sandy Springs Garden Tour today, and was enchanted by some Mountain Laurels in one of the gardens. Does anyone grow them? I would LOVE to adapt one for my garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain Laurel

I love Mountain Laurel as well! My husband got me one for my birthday years ago. It's dead. :(

I learned that the key to successfully growing them is to replicate natural growing conditions. They are a hillside understory plant -- I think they like a lot of the same conditions as rhododendron. Elevated a bit above ground level... excellent drainage.... dappled light.

I want try again soon, now that I know what I'm doing.

Good luck!

o

Thanks Bagsmom, I would definitely try one.

o

We have several mountain laurels, collected on private property in the Pickens County, SC, mountains. They are planted under the shade of pine trees in ordinary Upcountry South Carolina red clay soil with a constant feed of pine needles, providing mulch and acidic nutrients. I walked out to one of the mountain laurels this morning, and it's in full bloom and gorgeous. They bloom at a good time in the spring when everything has gone green and the big flush of the azaleas has passed until another year. They provide a dependable spot of color that is much-appreciated. The only problem with our mountain laurels is that they are located way out in the wilds so that one has to schedule a special trip to see them. It would be nice if they were a little closer to the house.

o

Yes, I have them as foundation plants. Planting technique is important as bagsmom says. Plant them a bit high, good mulch to keep the roots cool and regular water while they are getting established.

They are blooming now for me. All are rescues except for an 'Elf' that I bought some years ago.

o

And to my way of thinking, mountain laurel is a much more graceful plant than the native or hybrid rhododendrons, which seem a little rotund, or heavy-set, in both form and flower. Mountain laurel blossoms also have a curious, amusing way of catapulting pollen when bees fly in to visit them.

o

I love them!!!!!

o

I have a fairly steep hill that we've grown pine trees on. Now that the pines have grown to a good height and most of the hill is in dappled shade, I am going to try some mountain laurel. I fell in love with it on a trip to Biltmore. And when I used to drive on Buford Dam Road to work. There is a bunch right around the dam and the parks there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here