Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Successful deer repellant

Posted by sharon4457 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 21:56

Bonide Organic Repels-All Animal Repellen

A salesman at Pike's recommended this. I've been using it for about one month and so far, I've not had any 'nibbling' or 'chowing down' on my plants - ones that I know the deer ate last year. Once sprayed it's good for 2 months, but it's recommended to spray new growth. It smells HORRIBLE, but so far it's doing the trick.

I also sprayed (mildly soaked) some of my flower / lily bulbs in hopes that the voles/chipmunks will leave them alone, too. We'll see if it works. On another forum I read that =Bonide bulb dust - also works. I may try that along with the spray.
'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Successful deer repellant

How much does it cost? What is it made of?
Thx for the info.

o

It probably smells horrible because it's made from rotten eggs and pepper spray! I use Deer-Off and that's what it is made of. Just don't get any in your eyes. The smell dissipates after you spray, but the deer can still smell it.

o
oops

ok, I was a little off, it's rotten eggs and garlic and dried blood:

Active Ingredients: Dried Blood: 0.00240%
Putrescent whole egg solids: 0.00240%
Garlic Oil: 0.00048%
Inert Ingredients: 99.99472%
Bottle Size: 1 gallon
Method of Application: garden sprayer

Link

Liquid Fence is made the same way. I know some people who make a garlic/pepper/egg solution at home, but that's too gross for me!

o

I use Liquid Fence, buy it in concentrate form at Tractor Supply. It's pretty effective when I do use it. Quite stinky but it fades within a few hours.

o

It must be similar to Deer Off which I credit for saving our tomatoes last year. The year before we harvested only one tomato off of more than 30 plants. The deer even ate the green ones. Last year, after using Deer Off, they were not touched.

o

I bought a sticky specialty product (which also stinks) for my Mom. It was said to repel deer and rabbits. Worked on rabbits for 2 years. Maybe it's time to send her something new?!

o

I've been using garlic - bought it in a concentrate and mix with water and spray around the garden beds. We've been doing it for about 10 days now - re-spraying when it rains - and no deer. They were becoming nightly visitors before this. The smell is a bit intense, but it is working (knock wood).

o

I also use liquid fence and it works well.
I have a stand of swamp salvia, I am going to cut some up and mulch around the hostas weekly and see if that works. The smell may deter the deer and maybe the oil will be absorbed.

o

Now how's this for weird? We've had two does visiting the yard -- they walk right past a TON of hostas -- ignore the raised veggie beds -- and nibble wild violets and volunteer mimosa. (Yay! Munch away on those!)

The deer never bother anything I like.

Now if I could just say the same for the dang squirrels. They are already eyeing my tomatoes! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here