Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for shade shrub suggestions

Posted by squirrellypete z7b GA (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 22:28

I've got a very shady garden under a tree canopy that has mostly hosta and impatients. I'd like some suggestions on a shrub to use as a backdrop behind the hostas. I currently have 1 peegee hydrangea there but it never blooms so I guess it's not getting enough sun and it also doesn't seem to grow much here. This area gets maybe an hour of morning sun (if that) and then very little filtered evening sun and that's it. Almost completely shaded all day.

Ideally I'd like something that will fill out around 3-5 foot high/wide with some kind of bloom. It doesn't have to be a spectacular bloom and I am actually moreso concerned with lovely full foliage than bloom. Prefer it to be deciduous and green in color. Any suggestions that fit the bill? Would oakleaf hydrangeas be good here or do they need a bit more sun to grow and bloom?

Sincerely, Danielle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for shade shrub suggestions

the whole time I was reading your post, I was thinking oakleaf hydrangea and then you said it yourself.....my red buckeye is also looking very good this year :) p.s. my oakleafs are in very shaded areas and doing very nicely

o

Aucuba: variegated or the solid green or fatsia Japonica - these both have done really nicely in a shady spot for me.

GGG

o

This doesn't mean two of your criteria ... but I just found Canadian Hemlock 'Jeddloh' at my Home Depot. Dwarf hemlock that grows to about 4 feet tall according to the label.

However, it doesn't flower and it is evergreen. But it does love shade.

o

Dwarf skimmias would be nice there too. My Oakleafs get a lot of sun to get nice fall color and bloom well. A small japanese maple, or camellia japonica would be good to.
I know you said deciduous, but I'm throwing out ideas.
I absolutely love skimmias. They are so beautiful in bloom.

o

Leucothoes are supposed to be good in deep shade too, they have tiny flowers but some have really nice foliage.
I have some sarcococcas that are super in complete shade, but they only get about 2 ft high.
I think Pieris can take quite a lot of shade.

These are all evergreen though...

o
In my shade areas I have

azalea, rhododendron, pieris, english laurel, camelia, gardenia, viburnum. They all flower and do well.

o

Thanks for all the suggestions. I googled everything ya'll mentioned and I think I'm leaning towards a dwarf variety viburnum, oakleaf hydrangeas, and someone else mentioned Sweetspire. Those shrubs have more the look of what I had in mind as a backdrop. I also have tons of oakleaf hydrangea babies on the property so I may transplant a few and see how they do.

That dwarf hemlock esh mentioned looked interesting too, I may have to find a spot for it in a different shady bed.

Thanks again! Danielle

o

What variety of viburnum likes shade? I'd be interested in one that did. I have lots of different ones and I have moved them from shady areas where they didn't bloom.

o

The only viburnum that I'd recommend for light shade (not full shade) would be mapleleaf viburnum (viburnum acerifolium).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here