Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting berries from birds!

Posted by dawggardner GA (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 22:43

Any CREATIVE suggestions out there for protecting strawberry plants and blueberry bushes? The birds are already getting in my strawberries. I've used standard netting in the past, and it works just fine. But I'm hoping for something a little more user-friendly. Having to remove all that netting in order to pick berries each time is a pain. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting berries from birds!

So far mine have been safe after dangling old used CD's from string. The mockingbirds stopped getting them after stringing up. Some of the blueberries will be protected this way too!

o

I will try that for my thornless Blackberies. Bluejays ate them all last year and I want some this year.

o

Throw some nylon tulle on them. You find it at Hobby Lobby or any fabric stores.
They are inexpensixe and practical. Birds wouldn't even bother to sit on them becase
theie toes can get tangled and feel like its a trap.
Bye bye birdies!

o

I'm just using bird netting but made a quick PVC frame for it so it's easy to take on/off. I used pipe insulation to hold the netting on.

The good thing is that pollinators like bees can still get in. The bad thing is that other baddies like japanese beetles can get in also.

o

I was just visiting a friend and he had constructed a big tent of netting above his strawberries and blueberries. A cardinal had somehow gotten in and then could not get out. It was flying around and around, exhausting itself! We pulled up a corner and the bird was able to escape.

Birds don't bother my blueberries. I actually planted them for the birds (but we eat some too) and the berries stay on the bush forever!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here