Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhope_gw

Hello New Palm Tree Grower in North Georgia

newhope
18 years ago

I hope to finde some fellow palm growers here in NW Georgia. I have Pindo, Needle, Sabal Minor, Sabal Birmingham, Windmill, Med. Fan, Takil, Chusan, and Windermere all growing here in Dallas Ga.

Comments (14)

• gagirl30161
    18 years ago

Hi, I am planning to start growing some cold hardy palms. Right now, I am into banana trees. Do you mail order your palms or buy them from a local nursery? I have no idea at the present where to start my collection.

• newhope
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, most of them I have gotten on ebay with good success. I bought my large windmill at Home Depot Landscape and my pindos in Florida on vacation. I have some to sell at times but all I have now is two very nice trachycarpus takil about 14-16 inches tall (1 gallon). These are more rare than the windmill but supposedly will get 30-40 feet. We will see. These are 25 each which is a little more than regular windmills because of rarity. If interested email me or post. Lots of good places to get them. Some local nurs. are getting the windmills.

• alex_7b
    18 years ago

Trachycarpus and S.minor are fully cold hardy, with some caveats; Plant early in the season. Trachycarpus does well up to about a 3-gal size. They seem tender from 3-gal to 10-gal and then they're no problem. Sun or shade is OK.

Pindos are marginal at best. Small ones should be protected below 15º. Larger, trunking specimens are good to about 10º. The fatter, the better. Also, full sun is best for starch production. I have one since 1999.

Needles should be planted in shade before mid July, as they seem a little slow to acclimate.

The European Fan is a tad more tender than the Pindo but much easier to protect.

• newhope
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sounds about right!
    I do also have a few chusan in 1 gallon pots. They are 15$

• GAAlan
    18 years ago

Have you visited the Southeastern Palm and Exotic Plant Society website? I've not been this year, but always lots of great info and pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southeastern Palm Society

• garden_graphic_gal
    18 years ago

Randy's in Lawrenceville also has palms.

• newhope
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah he does have a good selection. A little cheaper on-line if you can find a good source.

• pbennion
    17 years ago

Hi - recently moved to Marietta, GA and I am a palm enthusiast. I have planted a Euro Palm, Windmill, Sego, Pindo, and Mexican fan Palm (which had some leaf browning last winter but is now growing fast).

I am very intersted in getting some Sabals, Takils, Kumaons, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Phil

• mkrkmr
    17 years ago

There's a cold hardy palm retailer along I-20 between Conyers & Covington (25-30 mi. E of Atl.). Don't know much about them. It's a fenced enclosure with a shed. Sort of fly-by-night, but you never know. Might be a real enthusiast with little capital to get started.

• grogreen
    17 years ago

This w/b my first season wintering my palms so we'll see how they do! I've got 2 windmills (planted outside this spring, they haven't grown much but the stems seem to have thickened up quite a bit), 5 sabals of some sort (not sure what kind, put outside in the spring, but still really small and can't say they've had much growth at all this year so I've wondered if I've done something wrong with them - but they have not died yet so I figure that's at least some sort of good sign!), and 2 banana musa's (put outside in the spring, they have grown tremendously - are between 4 and 5 ft now, and have lots of pups that I'm going to try to transplant to other areas in another week or so) - I'm in Dallas Ga too, and got my start on some of these thanks to NewHope, others bought at WM! :)

• jganyard
    15 years ago

Hi newhope

My wife and I are looking for some palms to plant around our pool area. We know absolutely nothing about them. What would you suggest?

Also, being originally from FL (me) and CA (her) we would love to find some citrus that grows here!

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

Please excuse me for bringing this up, but I think there is a clause in the Gardenweb Forums' Terms of Appropriate Use document that prohibits members from selling plants or other merchandise via postings to any of the Gardenweb Forums.

• ors_gina_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i have my first palm. i was born and raised in miami, fla. and there's nothing like ''flat land and palm trees''. i have mine in a pot outside and it got left outside on a freezing nite. the leaves are brown...do i cut them or not?

Sponsored