Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this weed

Posted by bmmalone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 8:32

its leaves look like ivy but are small and not shiny. it is not hardy. Its fairly aggressive and easy to pull. and its driving me crazy!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this weed

I sure wish I could see it.

o

Glenchoma probably or "ground ivy" http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=Glechoma+&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=%22ground+ivy%22

Glenchoma is a hardy perennial weed that enjoys some moisture, and goes dormant in the winter. Shallow rooted, but annoying and fast spreading. it can go dormant in droughty hot summer too.

o

I'll try and get a picture. GGG its not glenchoma. the leaves are ivy shaped but it looks like a 'tender' version of ivy. driving me nuts!

o

I have it too - I don't know what it is. The roots are very shallow.

o

bindweed or wild morning glory? is it starting to get long and vinish? It's fairly common and can have nice flowers if you don't mind it weaving it's way around everything. But can become invasive and will return every year. The leaves look very ivyish at this time of the year.

o

Is this it?

o

That looks like muscadine (grape vine).

o

Pam's picture looks like Echinocystis lobata, wild cucumber.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinocystis lobata

o

I know a vine that just like the one the poster is talking about.But don't know the name. (not much help here)

Its leaves are pointy and a bit silver color .
I have not noticed its flowers but it sure produces a lot of round grape-like berries, full of tiny seeds. And that is how it multiplies. If a whole bunch of them grow near each other, can cover small plants and bushes.
Definitely, not a morning glory.
You have to pull them out before the seeds are ripened. Otherwise you will get a lot more next year.That is bad news. But the good news is that it is easy to pull them up and they are annuals.

o

Anyone ever positively identify this vine? Not sure what the OP has exactly but mine is what's shown in Pam's pic.

It popped up sporadically in my SHADE bed last year. I promptly removed it. However, this year, it's back in full force. Pretty lil thing but it's annoying my hostas.

Just wondering whether to eradicate it or move it..

blessings & thanks,

~digger

o

bmmalone, I finally pulled up a piece of this weed (in a neighbor's yard, mine is gone). It is very easily pulled up, as you said. Size of the largest leaf is about the size of a nickel. Is this what you have?

Photobucket

o

I believe that is melothria pendula. It's a native vine in the cucumber family that can be very weedy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here