Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stellabee_gw

Possible Grow List ?'s

Stellabee
10 years ago

I know this inquiry might seem a bit strange being that it's June, but I am putting together a list of 'potential candidate varieties' for this Fall as well as next year's Spring/Summer garden. I do this every year in June and then try to combine and narrow down the 'possibles list' with the varieties I already know do quite well here in hot, humid Georgia. I try not to combine lists though before getting some input from folks here on Gardenweb who have grown the varieties that are unknown to me, so if you might be so kind...:-)

For any of you who have grown the following vegetables and flowers, please feel free to provide as much info as possible on productivity, disease resistance, and taste.

Any info on varieties not listed here that do great for you would also be appreciated!

I am quite curious about the following:

Tomatoes:
-Rose (Amish Heirloom)
-Prudens Purple
-Aunt Ginny's Purple
-Jaune Flamme
-Kellogg's Breakfast

Winter Squash:
North Georgia Candy Roaster (not the North Carolina Candy Roaster)

Melon:
Piel De Sapo (Southern Exposure Seed)
Old Time Tennessee

Fall Greens:
Tatsoi Mustard a.k.a. Spoon Lettuce

Flowers:
Feverfew
Four O'Clocks a.k.a Don Pedros
St. John's Wort

Herbs:
Catnip

Thank You & Please Advise....

Stellabee

Comments (5)

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

Yes, I've grown everything on your list except the squash simply because I have squash bugs that eat every single squash that is not a moschata variety.
    All of the tomatoes you have listed grow fine here but have not been huge producers for me. I like to stick with the ones that really put it out, and throw in only a few that are unique or unusual for color especially in salads.

• Stellabee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi GGG, I hope you are doing well.

I know you like Green Zebra, b/c one of the first gardenweb posts I ever read was a link with you recommending it. Yellow pear too...

Are there any cherries that you particularly like for 'putting it out' as you said;-) Larger tomatoes too-would love to know what you've had luck with, since you're not too far away.

By the way, I'm not surprised about the others on the list, but I thought Jaune Flamme was supposed to set like crazy. Maybe not here though. Hmm...

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

Sungold is the cherry for "putting it out" and you can't go wrong with Juliette which is more saladette. Both are hybrids but tasty. Jaune Flamme can put it out, but it really depends on the year. This year it would be KILLER - Juane likes some moisture and lower temps.
    I love Marlglobe and Rutgers tomatoes for sure - they are not salad tomatoes but best for cooking or canning but boy, they can produce. I use these only as companion plants to tastier tomatoes - I mix them together for canning and freezing. Paul Robeson, Cherokee Purple or Black Krim do a wonderful job of tasty and productive tomatoes. Then there is Roma. That KICKS it out.
    Black Cherry is pretty productive and it's really tasty. However in my own garden it becomes a stink bug magnet - so I use it as a trap crop and don't really get to eat them :( The only thing I've found to alleviate the stink bugs is to plant the old fashioned sunflowers with lots of pollen. Weird, but it seems to work!
    Of course add some "wild cards" to your tomatoes every year to try something fun and see how it works in your garden. We all have different soil, different sun patterns, different micro climates - what works for you may not love my 16 hr a day 100 degree beating hot sun filled garden and experimenting is just fun!

• Stellabee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey GGG,

It's been a while since you posted, but I wanted to thank you for the info! I am going to plant heirloom roma since you said that. I have seeds and it did produce a lot even when I neglected my roma plants a couple of years ago (funny how I forgot that). They make good fried green tomatoes too, which I found surprising.

Oh, and I have Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and even a Rutgers out in the yard now. The Cherokee purples have set very well; however, they never seem to be as disease resistant as all the catalogs tout them to be-not for me at least. Rutgers is doing quite nicely and the black krim is slow moving, but that's probably the heat. I expect it to 'kick em' out' as the weather gets nicer in terms of temp.

I think my list for next summer in reference to tomatoes will include Florida Pink, Big Rainbow, Prudens Purple, Glacier, Moskvich, and Lollipop. This is all open to revisions though, of course (smile).

I'm confused on the early varieties though (Glacier, Moskvich, Blood Butcher, Stupice, etc). I have found a lot of info as to how they are early and more cold tolerant than others but not much as to how they handle the rest of our summers or anyone else's for that matter.

Going to peruse Gardenweb again and see if I can find anything...

Thanks Again, GGG,

Stella

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

No heirlooms are all that disease resistant. I keep on mine, and prune them constantly. Any leaf that is discolored is pruned off. I keep a pair of scissors, a film canister with a little rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball in it. Every cut gets a wipe of the blades of scissors so I'm not spreading anything. Sometimes by the end of the season my tomatoes don't have a whole lot of leaves, but they have some - always enough to keep things covered for sun scald etc. This helps keep many leaf diseases in check and keeps things from spreading, especially when we get summer rains. Keep any watering off of the foliage, way down low , about an inch or two from the base of the plant. My tomatoes are had watered because I don't have a drip irrigation on them, seems to work just fine and I rarely loose a tomato plant.
    Stupice is an early producer. I've grown it, then cut it back, fertilized it and let it rest over the hottest part of summer and it's produced again in fall some years. Some years not. You can always grow it, and have a cherry tomato seeded and read to plant after Stupice is done. I will still plant tomatoes in July - cherries work well for fall harvesting. I drape a piece of white cloth over the tomato cage of late planted tomatoes, and leave it there for two weeks to break some of the heat. Usually works great!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County