Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

How bad is bamboo?

mayland
14 years ago

Our neighbour has just planted 2 large bamboo plants, one of which is right up against the chain-link fence that separates our properties.

I'm concerned about how invasive these will be. The one closest to our property is planted in a sea of ivy -- will that help to curb its spread? However, on our side of the fence, we have cleared all the ivy, so it will have a free run.

Can we prevent the bamboo spreading onto our property by sinking a sheet of metal or plastic down into the ground along the fenceline? How far down do bamboo rhizomes/roots go?

Our neighbors have a no-maintenance approach, so i can only hope that neglect might kill off the bamboo while they are still newly-planted.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (12)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Any chance you can ask him if he planted "running" or "clumping" bamboo? Because if it was clumping then you don't have to worry.

I would not have much hope for the neglect angle if it is running bamboo ... it is too evil to die!

• mayland
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Esh, I hadn't realised there were different types, thats good to know. I would guess they bought whichever is most available at HD/Pikes etc. I think there is a tag on it, so I can go and look.
    Asking would not be very easy, we are unfortunately not on great terms.

• janen
    14 years ago

mayland - I hope for your sake it is not the running type. Our neighbor behind us has the horrid running type and it is going everywhere. We are constantly digging it out of our garden. It is terrible, terrible stuff. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep it out, I would love to hear about it.

• laylaa
    14 years ago

It might be easier to offer your neighbor help building a bamboo barrier around his plants than it will be for you to barrier your property. The neighbor will have issues as well if it's a rhizome species, and the barriers have to be deep. The rhizomes can shoot off 25' easily, and darn deep. I never won a battle against the stuff from a neighbor and went as far as trying to kill the original plant, year after year. Check the bamboo forum here for barrier systems, they are a bit of work to install but a heck of a lot easier on a new plant.

Esh is correct though, find out what kind it is first. Your neighbor may not have planted it without being aware of what he was doing.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

I agree with everything everyone else said. We have a large stand of bamboo 4 houses away from us and it has come all the way into our back yard. There is no way we can use the measures needed to block it off. We would need some sort of heavy equipment to dig a trench for corrugated sheet metal through our rocky, clay soil, not to mention all the old tree roots in the forest.
    Knowing all that, we have tried to come to some sort of peace with the bamboo. In your case, with a new planting, it is much more feasible to prevent it. IF, however, it does come to your yard, here are some ideas for you! Make beanpole teepees with it! We have an incredibly tall one we did! I am talking 20 feet tall. The kids love playing under it! Bamboo is also super for making nice lightweight, flexible garden stakes. For free! Then you could go the whole-hog, Gilligan's Island route and start building outbuildings! How about a bamboo garage!!!!!? Good luck!

• nippersdad
    14 years ago

Mayland: I would DEFINITELY go over there and ask them what kind it is. Most likely, it is a clumping variety insofar as any reputable nursery would think twice before selling the runner type....but it is always good to know for sure. The only way to get rid of it once it is established is to just cut it down, which will leave you with a field of tire killing pongee stakes if you aren't careful.

Or you could go over there with a little roundup while you still can.....

• gusolie
    14 years ago

nippersdad, I'm surprised you give such faith to the nursery trade regarding bamboos. Anywhere outside of southern California and peninsular Florida, I have never seen widespread discussion of sales of the clumping bamboo species (Bambusa, Otatea, etc).

THe average/typical nursery will readily sell the running Phyllostachys plants since their profit is so great since they propagate so easily. Less overhead.

• mayland
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks very much for all the info everyone. The tag on the plants was just a "sold" tag (and didnt name the store), and not a plant ID tag. I haven't seen my neighbors outside since last w/end, so haven't asked them. If i see them i will ask them and will suggest a barrier if its a runner (i think i can guess how that suggestion will be received though).

My guess is that they may have thrown the tag and might not know what type it is. If its a running type, we'll find that out quite soon.

Bagsmom, i have 2 little kids and they love building things with sticks that they find in the garden. So, at least they would be happy with an endless supply of bamboo.

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

those box-store garden centers are not what i consider reputable suppliers. i had to call the state regulatory agency when i saw mimosa in pots at the local one!
    i also see privet, vinca, etc. there. i do like to shop at those stores but you rarely find staff who know anything about exotic invasives working them.
    sure hope your neighbors bought a "clumper" bamboo. perhaps you can eat it under control and harvest the young shoots! *lol*

• nippersdad
    14 years ago

Gusolie, you are, of course, absolutely right.

• planter-in-tucker
    14 years ago

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Right now, I'm looking out my second story window and all I can see is bamboo. It's at least 25' tall.
    When I moved here 15 years ago, the neighbors had a small (6') patch of it, nestled against our common chain link fence. Today, that small stand of bamboo has spread at least 150 feet. It's grown half-way into my yard.
    I've tried Round-Up, but that doesn't even phase it. Digging it up is almost impossible. The rhizomes are rock-hard and sprout aggressive side roots ever inch or so. Bamboo makes Kudzu seem delicate. I'm told a barrier fence needs to be 3' deep... which is an enormous amount of work.
    I agree with laylaa. Talk your neighbor into containing it NOW, or you're both screwed.
    I've come to terms with my bamboo. All season long, I hack down every shoot I see. Some are green and thin. Others are fat and purple. In the long run, this probably doesn't do a thing to the bamboo, but it's a nice way of taking out my aggression.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

One other thought.... I know nothing about this, but have heard several people say that volunteers at the zoo will come get some of the bamboo for the pandas. Have any of you heard this? I assume it is new, tasty, fresh growth -- but I don't know.

The big stand of bamboo two doors down from us is also 25 to 30' tall. One positive thought -- it is really neat to watch it wave around in a thunderstorm. It irritates the crud out of me when it creeps into our yard, but as I've said above, we have no options for getting rid of it. So I'm trying to enjoy the positives. HEY! Maybe I can use the bamboo to smack some of Satan's Squirrels who are eating all my vegetables!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths