Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will these grow in Kennesaw?

Posted by brianz 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 1, 10 at 9:55

I mostly prefer natives where possible but not in this case... I live in Kennesaw (NW Atlanta area). I am looking at adding Northern Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) and Hummingbird Bush (Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii) to my yard. They'd be in a spot that gets full sun from 8 am to 2 pm, then mostly shade after that. During rainy periods, the soil stays pretty moist, since it's in a lower spot of my yard.

Theoretically both seem like they'd work but I'd like anybody's opinions if possible... thanks!

Thanks,
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will these grow in Kennesaw?

Northern Spicebush is actually a native plant for Georgia and should be just fine in Kennesaw. They can be a little difficult to transplant, but once established are pretty hardy.

I've heard various opinions on the hardiness of the Hummingbird Bush between zones 7 and 8, so it might be a tender perennial for the north Georgia area. You might want to try to find a sheltered location for it, maybe with a southern or eastern exposure.

o
RE: Will these grow in Kennesaw?

I'm in Rockdale County. We have several Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii we planted in spring 2008. So far, they have thrived for us. We add a good layer of mulch for winter. Ours were slow waking up this year (May 10). Last year they were putting on growth in late March. They fill out fairly quickly once they start. As long as the plants are in a space that drains well, I think they should be OK. Also, I believe the more sun they get, the more blooms you will have. Ours are in dappled shade until 11AM, and then full sun until evening. They bloom nicely. Hummingbirds stake them out and battle to protect their stash :~).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here