Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmzms

controlling ivy

jmzms
18 years ago

I know ivy is aggressive, but is it invasive? I have a privacy fence with a 40 ft garden bed in front of it. I saw a picture in a magazine once where they had trained ivy to grow up the posts, and then trained it to create a swag between the posts. It was really cute and clever, something to make the fence a little more than just a fence. However, I'm worried about controlling the ivy. I know I can train it up the posts and control what grows from the initial plants, but does it's root system grow crazy and new plants pop up all over the yard (like Wisteria or honeysuckle). I've also read about people planting invasive plants in a deep bucket with the bottom cut out to control the root system. Does that really work? And if the ivy is invasive, would that technique work for it?

Thanks for your input.

Comments (12)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Ivy isn't "invasive" in that it spreads deeply by underground runners, however SOME ivy's are on several invasive or watch lists because although shallow rooted, they cover ground very quickly.
    The plant in a deep bucket for invasive plants theory doesn't work. Many plants have root systems that can easily break through a barrier, or will begin sending very deep runners...or can simply re-seed. Cement barriers are the best choice if you NEED to plan these types of plants.
    Some ivys have a good place in the garden. For example, I have an urn planted with a variegated needlepoint ivy. I've never watered it or done a thing to it. I don't think there's much soil in it anymore, lol. It sits on a gravel bed. It's never even touched the ground so no-re rooting anywhere.
    Ivy that has a "mow strip" around it can more easily be controlled.
    Ivy can easily climb trees and can kill the tree eventually by becoming very heavy in the root system up the tree and pulling the bark away from the tree so insects can invade. It's a good hiding area for creepy crawlies too.
    However, if you choose the right type of ivy, and have an area where it wouldn't be let to run and root around in any flower beds or grassy areas etc, it would look lovely in your application. It would mean fairly high maitenance to keep it in place, but it would look gorgeous!

GGG

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

it can produce berries, too, but i think the plant has to become "woody" or reach a certain stage of maturity before it does this. birds will then help disperse the plants into areas where it can become established, perpetuating the cycle.

• Eddie_GA
    18 years ago

Ivy in trees blocks out so much light the tree becomes unhealthy. Planting in a deep container will not work with ivy but will work with others. The problem is Ivy has rootlets all along its vine and roots anywhere it touches.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

English ivy has taken over some areas of Buckhead where it was planted by gardeners years ago. Ivy becomes "mature" when it is allowed to climb. Then it flowers and has berries that birds will spread.

Also consider that if you plant it and later move away, it is likely that the people after you would not do such a diligent job controlling it and it will be become a pest then. You'd do the environment a favor by considering another plant.

There are other less aggressive vines that you could consider. Virginia creeper is one such vine. Crossvine is lovely in a sunny spot. There is also an evergreen clematis (the other two vines I mentioned are not evergreen).

• estheramgr
    18 years ago

I have spent my summer covered in mosquitos, clearing dozens of bags of English ivy out of my back yard. Many's the time I have cursed the long-gone gardener who planted that stuff in my neighborhood. English ivy has killed numerous mature trees and cost my neighbors thousands of dollars of tree removal costs.

Please,whatever you do, don't plant English ivy anywhere but in a planter surrounded by concrete! I agree that it looks lovely when well-maintained, but please think of the gardeners who will come after you and consider a less rapidly spreading and less invasive plant.

• jmzms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input. Any suggestions for an alternative trailing/vinelike plant? Most of it will be in mostly shade all day, but a few sections will get some sun until about 1:00.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Does it need to be evergreen?

• jmzms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I'd like for it to be evergreen. The fence is about 14 ft from a big picture window and I'm trying to make the view a bit better. Thanks.

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Is it just the standard English Ivy that one has to worry about? I just planted some "Tri-Green & white" Hedera Helix. near a path of my wooded area. Do I need to dig this up? I also have some of a curly ivy I got from GGG at a plant trade a couple years back that I planted not to far from there. I figured I would just keep them under control, but the comments about future gradener's should I move has me thinking I made a mistake if these are that aggressive. Is it just the classic English Ivy we need to be that concerned with or do I need to dig these up before they get too established?

• estheramgr
    18 years ago

What about Carolina jessamine? I've never planted it but I've seen other people's look nice all through the winter. Also climbing hydrangea might be nice.

• novine
    15 years ago

I have been studying ivy and vines with tendrils and rootlets for 11 years and have a patent pending formula that when sprayed,rolled or brushed onto a vertical surface, it prevents vines with rootlets from growing past it. I use it on houses to create a line across house and to protect wood such as window sills. I also spray it around trees to create a border from the trunk and the canopy. It not only keeps trees healthy, but looks good too.

• daun2009
    15 years ago

I am trying to find out the name of the Ivy that was started for weed conrrol along the railroad tracks. It has now invaded Georgiea and some neighboring states. I would like to find out some history about the plant where it came from originally ect. any one???

Sponsored