Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying a Type of Berry

Posted by martinkis none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 11:10

This is my first post so I hope that I am doing it right.

The other day I was walking on the Georgia Tech campus in Atlanta and I saw someone picking berries from a tree/bush. I asked him what they were and he said that they are related to blueberries and native to the south. Unfortunately I could not for the life of me understand what he called them even after asking him to repeat it three times (maybe because he was eating them as we were talking). I didn't want to annoy the guy so I just let it go.

Can somebody help identify this plant? The berries look and taste very similar to the blueberries I'd buy in a store, though the skin was a bit thicker.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying a Type of Berry

A close up picture.

o

Those are serviceberries (or Sarvisberry). A native small tree in the genus Amelanchier. Sometimes called Juneberry because they ripen in June. They are tasty, the birds like 'em; people used to make pies with them.

Good fall color too.

o

Thank you so much for your help.

o

In Georgia, I vote for Sparkle Berry Vaccinium arboreum .

Here is a link that might be useful: Sparkleberry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here